scaffold board rubbish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to look at a job the previous day and the guy had had a few windows made in accoya. they were simply the worst windows I'd ever seen. they were stained(wrong primer) nail holes not filled splinter and cracks everywhere. and nothing seemed to be in line.the hinges had severe rust as well as rain pouring in at the top. until I pointed out the issues it was as if the guy couldn't see them...they were 12 months old.

it's not just furniture buyers. I went to see a big double bay. the top deck was badly rotted(obviously due to a lack of maintenance) it looked like it had been remade in the 90s or 00s. done in redwood. of course they start bleating about how they don't want to spend blah blah. it's an impossible situation for me tbh. as always they seem to want an a4 breakdown of "every option" when they will simply go with lowest price. its £800 to get scaffold atm! of course you chat through with other joiners and they laugh and say accoya or nowt.
You have to avoid the trap of trying to be too helpful and cutting corners. If it goes wrong you still get the blame. People who just want the lowest price are best walked away from.
I learnt this years ago with a valley gutter between two roof pitches. The lead work needed completely replacing after more work on the gutter and roof timbers either side. I explained it was a big job they said they couldn't afford it. I said it might be patchable with bitumastic and other material but I wouldn't guarantee it. Did it - a year later they got a roofer in to do the proper job - they didn't ask me back!
I like to think that I later got a reputation for being someone who would only do a proper job. In fact if competitive quoting was involved I'd make sure mine was the highest. Was once asked for my "best price" :rolleyes: and I came back with £500 added on to the estimate. Made me laugh, though I didn't get the job.

there only £15 around here! I got the job despite pricing fairly high tbh. I'm not that happy with the original construction having far to many flat rebates as there mostly fixed casements with little roof overhang.at the top the rot has gone right through to the inside. this row is heritage but in a really poor area so values are low. I think they are edwardian mostly but built in matched pairs...edwardian arts and crafts victorian etc etc

there only £15 around here! I got the job despite pricing fairly high tbh. I'm not that happy with the original construction having far to many flat rebates as there mostly fixed casements with little roof overhang.at the top the rot has gone right through to the inside. this row is heritage but in a really poor area so values are low. I think they are edwardian mostly but built in matched pairs...edwardian arts and crafts victorian etc etc
Scaffold board smuggling! County lines!
I've had casements which depended on having a projecting drip rail stuck on to the head, or the rail above the opener. Once these are gone water gets in. In fact I've got them here - I'll do a photo next week (am off to the Lakes today).
The only proper job with heritage stuff is to do immaculate copies, including adding those little details which may have gone missing.

I'm guessing the faulty design has led to at least 2 replacements in its life. the sash windows in the same row I worked last year had survived with a few repairs in totally original timber....it was severely dried and twisted though no rotten.

I'm guessing the faulty design has led to at least 2 replacements in its life. the sash windows in the same row I worked last year had survived with a few repairs in totally original timber....it was severely dried and twisted though no rotten.
Linseed oil paint

looking at the dining table and benches on the dab chic site, i wonder how long the very thin legs will last especially the bench legs.

Furniture from scafolding boards ,scafolding poles for legs a stroke of genious we used to live in a terraced house and never had anywhere to store my work bench ,ladder and trestles Now you can just grab the dining table ,coffee table and a couple of benches and you have all the access equipment you need great in Apartmentopia

Back