scaffold board rubbish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got asked to make one, I couldn't face using actual scaffold boards, just couldn't.
I found some ancient joists and used those after resawing them a bit. I left all the holes and stuff for the "rustic" look or whatever but at least it was decent wood.
Recycled stuff that was of a decent standard to begin with has to be better than brand new garbage timber.

Ollie

it's not really a problem more an honest insight in to the people who we make 'things' for. as aspiring craftsmen it's slightly depressing but will make the way I speak to many customers change.

especially younger hipsters(quite a profitable demographic for me) as I've been slightly baffled at times when people mention oak and point at scaffold boards. the positive is I've usually found they can and do respond to enthusiasm.

It's a variation on an ancient fashion which has never gone away - could be called "rustication"
Rustication (architecture) - Wikipedia.
Nearest I've come to it is in making what were known as pig benches (benches for killing and butchering a pig). Basically a thick slab of wood about 6ft x 12" x 3" or perhaps just a half round split log, smoothed on top so you could sit on it. Drill 4 holes, roughly axe shape four legs with end to fit holes, knock them in.
Sold them.
Always good to know people can make very primitive stuff and sell it - there's hope for us all!
This not one of mine. pig bench - Google Search

pig bench.png

Quite handy to have one or two around and can have bits added to convert into a shave horse.
Change the geometry, add enough pieces, and you've got a windsor chair

Last edited:
What does seem to get sold in some of the arty shops around here are industrial looking tables made from used (but sanded/waxed) scaffold boards and kee-klamp type steel tubing and fittings . . . at Cotswold prices!

One of my customers had a scaffold plank and kee klamp table from a local joiner... no end grain alternation, all the same direction.... it of course dried out in their warm kitchen and looks like a banana! Amazingly the customers think its good 😐🤔

Wow i didn't realise how easy it would be to make a living out of woodworking! I'm certainly lacking in skills compared to the majority of users on this site but even I could make these items! However looking at the prices they're charging, I'm not sure I could actually keep a straight face. I suppose if they're selling enough and people are happy, who am I to argue.

Here is their page on Etsy
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/DABChicVintagelots of happy customers.

They clearly know their market and are good at customer service. No doubt it is robust. They are good at 🐂💩, here is sample of their advertising literature
Bespoke Designs

Our premium furniture is hand-made by expert craftsmen, using decades of skill and expertise developed from building beautiful furniture and creating timeless Interiors.
DAB built its reputation by using the highest quality wood, ethically obtained from sustainable sources. It is then protected with natural wax, supplied to us from a world-leading brand. The wax is carefully massaged into the surface of the wood, to provide a deep-grain ,finish, which will maximise durability.

To us we can see the minimal time and workmanship it takes to make. To most people it is the look, feel and practicality. Screwed butt joint is fine as long as it does not fall apart.

Here is their page on Etsy
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/DABChicVintagelots of happy customers.

They clearly know their market and are good at customer service. No doubt it is robust. They are good at 🐂💩, here is sample of their advertising literature
Bespoke Designs

Our premium furniture is hand-made by expert craftsmen, using decades of skill and expertise developed from building beautiful furniture and creating timeless Interiors.
DAB built its reputation by using the highest quality wood, ethically obtained from sustainable sources. It is then protected with natural wax, supplied to us from a world-leading brand. The wax is carefully massaged into the surface of the wood, to provide a deep-grain ,finish, which will maximise durability.

To us we can see the minimal time and workmanship it takes to make. To most people it is the look, feel and practicality. Screwed butt joint is fine as long as it does not fall apart.
It's a load of cobblers really, but it's not pricy and it'll probably last a bit longer than some.

In general I think most of the negative comments expressed so far are rather unfair. I accept that the furniture offered isn't high end or high quality, but that's reflected in the economically priced items offered for sale, taking into account the cost of materials, hardware and finishes. Then there's the expense of running the workshop plus transport (free delivery within 25 miles), utilities, and so on (overhead) and the cost of employing staff along with marketing and other non-billables. Also true is that the marketing verbiage does rather bull up the skills involved in the construction along with the quality of the materials, but all businesses need marketing to appeal to their customer profile.

As far as I can see, it's simply a business trying to create a rapport with it's perceived and potential customer profile. Whether or not the furniture produced appeals or meets our 'expectations' (can you do better at those prices?) as woodworkers here, professional, amateur, or any other category that inhabits this forum is immaterial. If this venture is working for the business owner(s), good for them, and if tastes change in their customer base from this style of furniture hopefully they'll be nimble enough to adapt and continue to make a living.

I think the well-worn cliché 'Different strokes for different folks' has a place in this discussion. That's me done in this thread. Slainte.

Back