SC3 jaw carriers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strat

Established Member
Reaction score
hi, I have an Axminster precision pro 100mm chuck and a record SC3. I want to buy some more jaws for the SC3 and mount them on dedicated carriers but cant seem to find carriers sold seperately. Does anyone know where I can get them please? Many thanks.

Strat

Hi Strat.

I can't be absolutely certain about the SC3, but I have an SC4, which I assume is a very similar design, only larger.

The jaw carriers on the SC4 are not easy to remove, there is a locking circlip ring inside the chuck, which prevents the jaws being wound fully out. The Sorby Patriot and Nova2 chucks are the same, and require fully disassembling to remove the carriers.

It is my understanding that removable jaw carriers is one of the significant differences in the design of the Axminster chucks vs the SC4/Patriot/Nova.

So, I think, if removable carriers are a must, Axminster chucks are the place to go. This may be why SC3 carriers are hard to find as they will only be needed to replace damaged parts.

Hope that is helpful (and correct).

Foxy

I must admit I hadn't realised that was the case on none Axminster chucks, I just presumed all the jaw carriers just wound out! Make me think the Axminster price premium is worth every penny.

I may have not fully explained myself.

The jaws can be changed pretty quickly by undoing the hex-head screws that hold the jaws on the carriers. A jaw change is just 8 screws off, new jaws in position, 8 screws back in.

The photos show
1 .jaws fully closed.
2. Screws removed and jaws off (less than a minute of work)
3. Jaw carriers wound as open as they go

Attachments

• 20210928_082510.jpg
    20210928_082510.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210928_082642.jpg
    20210928_082642.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210928_082726.jpg
    20210928_082726.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 4
I've had a SC3, Versachuck and a SuperNova2 (which is very similar to the SC4) and currently have a SC4 and a SK100. As far as I know, the Versachuck and the Axminster models are the only ones that allow the carriers to be removed.

3. Jaw carriers wound as open as they go
I have to disagree with that statement. I have the same chuck (from the appearance) and the very first thing I did when I bought it was remove the restrictor screw in the N°4 jaw slot. That allowed an extra capacity of about 20mm on diameter.

You may argue that that screw is there to keep the capacity within 'safe limits' so that the carriers never protrude beyond the OD of the chuck body and I would counter that due to many years experience using chucks of all manner of configurations with jaws and carriers protruding by as much as 50% of the length of the jaw/carrier I have never had any qualms about using chucks at MY maximum capacity.

I have a SC3 and have never removed, or thought about, the carriers. I keep the jaws in a square biscuit tin, along with a stubby ratchet screwdriver with a hex bit fitted and an old toothbrush to dislodge any dust. The lid comes off and goes upside-down to provide a handy work surface so any misplaced screws don't roll away, jaw changes are very quick, well under 5 minutes unless I get distracted and dally, unused jaws go back in the tin. Some jaws only have one screw not 2 which makes it even quicker.

My other labour saving device is a chart with the various min/max capacities of each jaw pinned to the wall behind the lathe so you always select the correct jaws and/or make sure you dimension tenons etc. conveniently. Starting out, I occasionally ended up with things that were a bit too small for one jaw but a bit too big for the next.

I doubt changing carriers will make it much quicker and its therapeutic to rest your brain for a few minutes on a routine job.

The speed of changing is only one benefit of having multiple carriers, the other is not being able to drop one of the screws whilst changing, normally into a pile of sawdust or even better rolling underneath the lathe....

Back