Saying Goodbye

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to do that with my Auntie who had cancer quite a few years ago now. It is very hard.

It comes with middle age. But that doesn't make it any easier.

It's very hard saying goodbye. My wife died two months ago from cancer at the age of 43. Time is a river that pulls you forwards. You have to go with it and enjoy the ride, you can't cling to the rocks.

My thoughts are with you and your friend.

Thanks guys
Well Tom was more than twice that, Mike, but it's still hard. He was Favourite Uncle. He can make anything. Boats, tools, steam engines, anything. When he made a clock he started with rod and sheet brass.

And "Rubbish", above, is the computer cleaning up my bad language. It doesn't come close to conveying my feelings right ow.

Have written and deleted about six different replies to your post, none of them right...I guess that's just it, there's nothing you can say to make things right.

All things must pass, it's the only certainty we have in life and it's the one thing we're all running from.

Tom sounds like a top bloke.

thick_mike said:
It's very hard saying goodbye. My wife died two months ago from cancer at the age of 43.

Mike. I am truly very sorry that you lost your wife. I can't imagine how it feels to lose a partner.
I lost my dad to cancer 7 years ago. Im still not over it. I hope time is kinder to you.

Steve, Sorry to hear of your loss.

As others have said there are not the right words to say - just know that others are thinking of you

James

Really sorry to hear that Steve there's nothing anyone can say and each year you get older it happens more often. Painful whether a friend, family member or even a much loved pet. :( Takes a long time to get over it. My mum died 2 years ago and it still seems like last week.

Mike.

It's horrendous to lose your wife at such a young age, I can't imagine how you must feel, condolences just doesn't say it.

My neighbours 13 year old granddaughter had a large brain tumour removed last year and he's recently told me that her last 2 scans show that it's returned and growing much faster than the original so she needs surgery again. What on earth can you say to a guy with tears rolling down his cheeks when he tells you a story like that :shock:

Bob

Lons":e7e366ty said:
It's horrendous to lose your wife at such a young age, I can't imagine how you must feel, condolences just doesn't say it.

My neighbours 13 year old granddaughter had a large brain tumour removed last year and he's recently told me that her last 2 scans show that it's returned and growing much faster than the original so she needs surgery again. What on earth can you say to a guy with tears rolling down his cheeks when he tells you a story like that :shock:

Bob

Just have to let him know you're there for him. Chat, tea, that sort of thing. I've got a neighbour that's gone through the same thing as me last year. I just pop round and chat about lathes and rubbish cars, helps us both out I think.

hi steve

He was Favourite Uncle. He can make anything. Boats, tools, steam engines, anything. When he made a clock he started with rod and sheet brass.

your favourite uncle - he must have been a great inspiration to you.
hearing someone with your skills say "he can make anything." shows how much respect you have for him and what a skilled man he was.

i am so sorry to hear of your loss.
regards
paul-c

Steve,
I lost my father some 11 yrs ago and have since lost a few close friends. I've found that grieving is a bit of a choice. That is you can choose to be sad or you can choose to celebrate the life, times and person you have come to know. My father was a part time fireman for much of his life, renowned for riding down hill to the fire station at great speed in his vest and trousers, shirt flying..but he also rescued 11 people from difficult fires/floods/RTA..a quiet man of great courage.

Your choice is quite simple....be sad or celebrate the life you know was lived well.

MY thoughts are with you

Al

You're quite right, Steve - it isn't easy, whatever the circumstances.

Perhaps with advances in medical science and greater longevity, we've become less fatalistic that previous generations. When infant mortality was high, and early demise quite commonplace, people coped better because they had to. Now, losing someone in the prime of life seems so much more more cruel and hard to bear.

Think of the good times - remember the best aspects, and how they made you a better person. Grieve for them, then try to do them justice in how you move on with your life. That's the best way to honour someone's memory.

it's a hard one, but one we all have to face, and there's no easy answer. If you can do it, think of the good times, appreciate what you had, and try not to dwell on the hole that he has obviously left in your life.
And I know that's easy to say, but difficult to do, especially in the wee small hours.
Sincere sympathies.

Back