Sawstop News Update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AJB Temple":3mgwdbqq said:
Well. my take on this is that if it were to be available readily here I would pay extra to have this technology. .

That is your perogative and I would probably do the same thing,....but what I have a problem with, is that he is looking to get the law changed to FORCE people to have to buy a saw that has a safety feature that he invented and will profit from himself...

By taking the moral high ground and suggesting that every other saw is unsafe if used without this type of safety feature and then looking to profit by having the law changed in his favour...????.....Well,...It just does not sit well with me i'm afraid...!!!!

Doug71":2eldnb8p said:
Until that day Americans could maybe try using crown guards, riving knives and push sticks to reduce the 30,000 annual table saw accidents?

Doug

30,000 accidents...
Is it not averaged more than twice that figure, per year in the USA?

AJB Temple":140qxe2b said:
Well. my take on this is that if it were to be available readily here I would pay extra to have this technology.

+10 (that's one + for each finger)

Nick 415v":3skf7bmt said:
Just for info if you hadn't heard, about 6 weeks ago Sawstop was bought by TTS Tooltechnic (The owners of Festool).

Currently operating as a stand alone company, but it could be interesting to see if the technology is incorporated into the Festool range.

Only last night the news mentioned German Dr's had had an influx of Frankfurters/Bratwurst/Leberkäse/Landjägers suffering from anxiety...

Smacks of sour grapes to me (on the part of Gass). He invented something which he thought would not only revolutionise the use of table saws, and no doubt make him very wealthy at the same time. Years down the line, it hasn't quite turned out as planned for him.

Just my 2p.

Cheers

Karl

Going back to Paddy's post about American You Tube videos, I must confess that I cringe at seeing Matthias Wandel, Colin Knecht and Marc Spagnuolo (?) and others using their table saws when ripping timber. However, from what I remember, the early episodes of Norm Abram showed him using a riving knife and crown guard when he was talking about shop safety and sub titles occasionally said that guards had been removed for filming purposes. However, later episodes never show either guards or any sub-titles.

I don't want a Sawstop.

I like the fact that the most dangerous machine in my workshop needs a load of respect and demands I use the utmost care to use it.
I like my crown guard, riving knife, short (adjustable) fence. I like using a push stick and my cross cut jig. These are all parts and procedures that keep my hands away from the blade and keep the risk of injury down to a minimum.

If I had a Sawstop I may start thinking "it's only a quickie and I can't hurt myself, surely not now???"

Thirty years I've been around electrically operated safety equipment, trips, breakers, interlocks, etc. I couldn't tell you the number of times I've heard "Well it should have worked when...............!!!" Yeah right :roll:

Use the correct equipment, keep it maintained. Learn how to use it properly and safely. Plan your cuts. Take your time, stay aware and all those digits will remain firmly attached.

That's my 2 cents.

They've really got this back to front. If Americans used table saws properly, ie with guard, riving knife, right technique etc, then they would reduce the 30,000 accidents per year by 99%.

I feel sorry for those didn't know any better but who got injured. I think there was a case where a school pupil lost fingers, they should be suing the school for negligence.

I agree about the Youtube videos!

Back