Sawmills - Worcestershire/West Midlands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi folks

I'm looking for a sawmill in the Worcestershire/West Midlands area that might be able to provide me with hardwood (mostly small pieces) for fretsaw work.

Any suggestions?

Gill

Hi again

I take it that there aren't any sawmills in my area, then!

Can anyone suggest any other source of hardwood for fretwork?

Gill,

I can't help you with a local sawmill I'm afraid. However, there is Hobbies who do some thin hardwood panels. Or alternatively South London Hardwoods have some small packs.

Failing that, have you thought about producing your own from turning blanks? It'd be easiest with a bandsaw (even quite a small one would do the brunt of the work) and then clean up with a hand plane. Just a thought.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Jester

Hi Jester

Thanks for the suggestion. I have considered using turning blanks but they are very pricey and usually too small for my needs. SL Hardwoods sounds a much better prospect, especially if I can convince my other half that we need to do some Christmas shopping in London :) ! It just seems like such a long way to go...

Yours

Gill

Gill,

They'll post it. I've had a whole pallet of stuff delivered from them, no problem.

Cheers, J

Back