Sawmill/timber near Birmingham

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noho12C

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

just moved to Wolverhampton, and was wondering if anyone here had a good source where to get timber nearby. I'm mostly looking for poplar and cherry (several suppliers of oak in the area, but not a big fan of it).

Thanks !
Chris.

Thanks guys for your inputs and comments. Much appreciated !
Sykes thinks to offer machining possibilities, i think i will contact them during the week.

Ok, so I got a quote from Sykes timber for different stuff (cherry, poplar, etc), and damn they are expensive

Waiting for whitmore to get their quote now. Hope it will be a bit cheaper..

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

If you look here you will see the timber yard thread that covers the UK and Ireland.

You need to scroll to the right to get any comments from forum members who have visited the yards.

HTH,

Neil

Hang on!!!

Before you buy anything check out Great Barr sawmills. Don't work for them or have any affiliation but they are amazing. Prices you won't believe.

They are essentially a furniture makers who sell 'offcuts'.... of walnut, oak, cherry, iroko, and plenty of other species at crazy prices.

I recently purchased the following from them:
8ft American Walnut 4/4 thick, 5 3/4 wide... £17
8ft Cherry 5/4 thick, 6 wide... £16

I will always be using these guys.

James

Thanks James,

I think I'll pay them a visit tomorrow on my way back home. I think I've already been there once, to get some soft wood.

I want to do a small shaker style shelf, so I might find some stuff there (I dont need much material for that).

I got a feedback from Scawton sawmill : planed material is twice the price of sawn boards. That would make the cherry at £62 / cu ft. Doesnt sound too bad.

Try an outfit called Good Timber, used to be in Weedon in Northants, they have now moved to Bromsgrove (I think). You can go and sort through their stock of timber or order on the web.....

I ordered in the past from good timber. They are quite good but very expensive.

I plan to do in the coming months a shaker style chest of drawers, and that requires a fair bit of timber (I am thinking about using cherry).

And goodtimber or timbersource or other online dealers (while convenient) are way too expensive compared to more traditional sawmills.

However, definitely worth for small batches.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Back