Sawdust...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cat litter, I keep all my sawdust and just mix all types/grades in one bag. I don't generate enough to have constant free litter but I buy the big bales of bedding sawdust too. It works out as a fraction of the cost of dedicated litter and works just as well. Issues around what wood etc are a non go as the cat uses it once quick and doesn't lie in it.

If you don't have one yourself just throw it up on FB or gumtree, worst case you end up giving it away but still saves you a trip to the council tip where you said they refuse it anyway.
Or you could combine both the “cat litter”and the “spread it on the garden” ideas and turn your garden into a more attractive cats toilet than it is already,,,I wouldn't encourage them!

is there a way of making a wood pellet making machine?

You can if you are ingenious and have the metal fabrication skills but if you look at Alibaba or similar sites and search for "sawdust briquetting machine" or "sawdust pelleting machine" you will find them starting at $500. In this instance it would be more cost effective to buy rather than make. Even if nobody wants the briquette/pellets for burning they are more compact, making disposal more cost effective.

Pete

Butchers used it on their floors more recently than pubs.
I have a question, I thought sawdust was explosive, like flour under the right circumstances, I'm sure when I worked in the toy factory they were really careful with the sawdust bins.

I have a question, I thought sawdust was explosive, like flour under the right circumstances, I'm sure when I worked in the toy factory they were really careful with the sawdust bins.
Just about any combustible dust will explode in the right circumstances. I remember the Bird's custard factory explosion many years ago. It does need to be fine enough to suspended in the air and in an enclosed area and then of course an ignition source like a spark or flame. The thing is to make sure there is a through ventilation and not to allow the enclosed room to fill with fine dust. So, don't drop the vacuum bag in the garage - like I did.

I used to demonstrate surface area to kids using flour. A pile of it on the desk, when attacked with a bunsen flame, will do very little.

Put some in a funnel with a hose attached between the funnel and a childs mouth, and get them to atomise it toward the ceiling, and the flame cloud gets all their attention.

I believe coal fired power stations use similar methods - ie they dont just shovel on coal like you would in a domestic fire, but rather crush it and blow it on. This im not sure of, but it sounds right.

I once made a flour flame thrower thing, but stuff like that is hard to stabalise on a small scale, and people were already starting to raise eyebrows.

Anybody with a biomass boiler near you? they'll take it off you. If you google bio mass boiler suppliers, they could tell you where they have installed them in your area? One of my friends who has a log supplier business has one linked to a heat exchange in a converted storage container to kiln dry the logs. My Golf club also has one, so a few out there.

Hi monster.... ex Bournemouth man here...if you have lots of sawdust...you can mix it in with garden compost or dig it straight into the garden to give soil some nourishment...you should be able to offer it to anyone with a garden...

I lived in southbourne
Saw dust is not a good idea on gardens. It requires a lot of nitrogen to decompose it which it will take from the soil at the expense of plants, for which it is a vital nutrient. My local tip is happy for me to dump it into the green waste, are you being refused because you have such large quantities they think you are commercial? Or perhaps you are? A lot of people burn it in workshop woodburning stoves.

Jim

Back