Sawdust...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monster

Established Member
Reaction score
It’s overwhelming me!!
I’ve got bags of it o_O
Local tip doesn’t want to let me in.

Anyone got any suggestions of what type of Industries might want to take
It off my hands.

All suggestions gratefully welcome!

Hi monster.... ex Bournemouth man here...if you have lots of sawdust...you can mix it in with garden compost or dig it straight into the garden to give soil some nourishment...you should be able to offer it to anyone with a garden...

I lived in southbourne

If clean softwood timber shavings sell it to horse / chicken owners for £6 a bag.

Cheers James
Maybe I should come to Bradford! I feel fortunate to be able to give it away, lady uses it for her chickens. I tried all sorts of ways to get rid of it before she came along. Ian

Waste management costs me a fortune, roughly £300 - £350 a week (14yard skip weekly)
If your generating a lot then your options reduce dramatically, only so many mushroom growers and waste bins.

some of the large power stations have converted to burning wood pellets - I thought these were compressed sawdust??

Cannot believe there isn't a business in turning saw dust into something useful, even if just for a power station

Wood pellets is compressed sawdust or more commonly compressed planer dust.

A part of my sawdust goes into the garden as a soil cover. Part goes into the compost. Most goes to a neighbour who heats his house and workshop with woodchips.

Some chap used to take all mine for his chickens until a few weeks ago when his last chicken died and he said he wasn't getting any more. I had a bit of a panic but a friend who has horses says they will take all the wood shavings I can make which is good news.

My planer and panel saw go to different extractors so the shavings and the nasty stuff are kept separate.

I remember reading that Black Walnut dust is bad for horses.

Hi monster.... ex Bournemouth man here...if you have lots of sawdust...you can mix it in with garden compost or dig it straight into the garden to give soil some nourishment...you should be able to offer it to anyone with a garden...

I lived in southbourne
Or to a group of allotment holders?

Waste management costs me a fortune, roughly £300 - £350 a week (14yard skip weekly)
If your generating a lot then your options reduce dramatically, only so many mushroom growers and waste bins.
Have you thought of burning it to heat the workshop? A sawdust boiler might cost a few thousand, but you would have "free" heat and probably no extra work. You might even be able to sell surplus heat to your neighbours, assuming you have some. £350 a week is half an employee - a full one if you're not fussy.

Hi all, thanks very much for all the suggestions, hadn't thought of the chickens and horses, so I'll see if there is anyone local I can approach.

Its mainly planer / thicknesser shavings - predominantly oak and poplar recently - next project is 3 sash windows and I might give Accoya I go for them though which night not be so animal friendly due to the pickling process the timber is subjected to....

Have you thought of burning it to heat the workshop? A sawdust boiler might cost a few thousand, but you would have "free" heat and probably no extra work. You might even be able to sell surplus heat to your neighbours, assuming you have some. £350 a week is half an employee - a full one if you're not fussy.
I'd love to, but insurance and landlord won't cover / allow any thing burning combustibles in the workshop.

Do people still use that awful MDF stuff...
More & more it would appear, I’m certainly asked for items made in it more than I ever have been & a friend who bought a CNC a while ago is cutting literally dozens & dozens of sheets a week, hence my questions to the OP as to be overwhelmed with sawdust would suggest a CNC

Mixed wood dust is of no use to anybody who keeps animals of any sort and cares for their welfare. I dont produce industrial amounts of waste but what I do goes into the general waste bin. If you are producing a lot of waste perhaps ask around you local independent garages who use it to soak up oil and general fluid spills.

Back