Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stretch

Reaction score
I am looking to getting a saw I have a lathe and want thickness for logs ie bandsaw or chopsaw any advice would be nice Allan

Chainsaw to cut log slices and bandsaw to make them round enough to turn. Chopsaw hasn't enough throat I think?

If you are able to get turning wood in log form then a chainsaw is the first tool on the list. A lot of turners take the chainsaw along on country drives just in case of a roadside find. A bandsaw is also nice to have but not essential. Blanks that are 6 or 8 sided are ok to mount on the lathe. Just get familar with safe chainsaw use as a turning blank is not worth a hand or a leg.
An electric plane is also a cheap and handy tool to smooth off rough saw marks and get a faceplate mounted.
Regards
John

Allan, forget about a chop saw to cut logs, dangerous and will likely damage the saw too. They are designed for flat edged stock of uniform thickness, everything a log isn't.

Orraloon":z8fjlan0 said:
If you are able to get turning wood in log form then a chainsaw is the first tool on the list. A lot of turners take the chainsaw along on country drives just in case of a roadside find. A bandsaw is also nice to have but not essential. Blanks that are 6 or 8 sided are ok to mount on the lathe. Just get familar with safe chainsaw use as a turning blank is not worth a hand or a leg.
An electric plane is also a cheap and handy tool to smooth off rough saw marks and get a faceplate mounted.
Regards
John

Taking wood without landowners permission is theft.

I personally know of two instances where people have been prosecuted for this, albeit repeat offenders and large volume.

I should have pointed that out I guess. It is polite to ask permission from land owners .
Stuff on the side of the road (outside the fence) would likely be council property however and usually a turning blank would hardly be missed. Filling up with a years worth of firewood is perhaps pushing the friendship. Anyhow a bit of a warning to wood scroungers. If you get your collar felt purloining wood it would be a poor legal defence to say that I said it was OK.
Regards
John

Back