Saw tooth bit set worth buying?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i looked at them and have to say seemed a good price
but quality, who knows

Steve

Depends on your budget or philosophy on tools, you wouldn't think there's much difference between drill bits but there is when you compare them back to back.
I have a small set of cheapo forstner bits which work but need sharpening more than a few more expensive bits that I have - the pricer bits seem better balanced and finished, they also clear the chips better than a fat lass at lunchtime.

1 top end bit is the same price as a small set of cheapo ones.

Pays yer money takes your choice.

NickN":1acuuerg said:
Leaving aside opinions about Rutlands themselves, are these worth buying or steer clear?

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+premium-sa ... -16+DK2074

I could do with a few of these cutters but I don't like chucking money away either, so happy to go with better quality if these are a bit dubious.

Thanks.

I bought a set of these a year or so ago and I am pleased with them.
Whether they would stand up to professional use day in day out I can't say but for the hobbyist I think they are good value and it is very useful to know that you'll have a bit that will cut the size of hole you need.
Of course, like most things you could probably get a better quality set but at three times the price.

Thanks all for the responses - life rather got in the way for the past couple of days and I haven't been here or anywhere else online.

I shall give it a bit more thought, but as a hobbyist rather than pro I am inclined to think that set is probably not too bad, but as a frequent user of Screwfix I shall also look at that one.

Nick
Both sets offer amazing value for money when you look at the range of sizes. I bought a Rolson branded box years ago and frankly they have been amazing. I suspect they all come out of the same factory or region in China with different branding and boxes.

I would continue using Screwfix were I you. Excellent returns should you not be satisfied.

Fisch stuff is superb, bought their auger bits off Axminster during their last sale as well as the Zobo bits but these sets are excellent value for money and cost less than a single Fisch 50mm bit.

NickN":3618wvt9 said:
Leaving aside opinions about Rutlands themselves, are these worth buying or steer clear?

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+premium-sa ... -16+DK2074

I could do with a few of these cutters but I don't like chucking money away either, so happy to go with better quality if these are a bit dubious.

Thanks.
I have that set, but I'm pretty sure I didn't pay that much for it, I usually only buy stuff from Rutlands when it's on a half price sale.
The cutters are good, I have some more expensive Axminster forstner bits but I use the saw tooth bits in preference, especially in plywood where the teeth make a big difference.

Back