Saw Till Design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
I checked around this forum (and several of the 'murican boards) looking for a design for a small saw till. I didn't see anything that was what I was after so I came up with something of my own design. I used a 3/4" dowel to support the handle and the usual saw kerf to hold the blade.

Do you usually have your toothed edge facing in or do you support your back saws w/ their backs?

Any others care to share photos of their saw till designs?

saw_till.jpg

Alas Dave, all mine hang on a hook... More importantly did I notice that you got published recently?

Rgds

Noel

Hi Noel,

Yep, I've been in two magazines recently. Woodwork magazine published one of my tips. I was supposed to be in Popular Woodworking with a tip but they published it as a letter. Thanks for noticing! :)

Yup, saw them both. Well done.

Noel

MikeW":27r4g6wr said:
Nice benchtop till, Dave!

Mike

Thanks Mike! I shopped around a lot before I picked that up from Ikea -- one of the last places that I checked. My wife and I were looking for furniture and I happened to check out their countertops. It's 1-3/4" beech and measures 27" x 72". The best part ? . . . It only cost $139.

I made the apron (which you can't see here) out of red oak.

I keep mine in racks in a heated tool cupboard under the bench. The L-Ns have their leather cases and the Dorchester has a plastic tooth guard on. I have to take care to put them in the rack carefully since I chipped a corner off the handle of a L-N :cry: All my toys have to be put away after each session - I am very short of space. the whole shop being 6ft x 8ft!
atoolcupboard.jpg

When in use they sit in al all purpose rack at the back of the bench along with in-use chisels and squares.
toolrack.jpg

Nice work Dave. I'll browse through my Woodwork mag, was you letter in the last issue?
Here's my till, just after I finished it. Now I have a few more saws but they all fit except my big bowsaw. The till is hung on a wall with cleats. My larger saws have the teeth pointing outwards but it's up in a corner so I don't bang into anything by accident.
Cnv0091full_till_37K.jpg

Frank D.":38gfomhr said:
Nice work Dave. I'll browse through my Woodwork mag, was you letter in the last issue?

Nice till Frank. I'm guessing that the storage drawers at the base also function as the support? Very creative.

Yep, it's the current issue of Woodwork -- the one with John Morris on the cover.

bugbear":3jb62ltt said:
That's even smaller than mine,
I would like to have the space to have things like saw tills and wall mounted tool cupboards, and of course there is nowhere for a table saw. But then I have never had anything larger so I don't miss it. On the good side I can heat it with 0.5KW, and for making small boxes etc it's all I need.

It's great to get all these ideas about tool storage. I am in a never ending struggle with tools vs space.

I don't know who has seen the last page in the latest FWW (The WoodButcher) I got hot under the collar and squirmed in embarassment as I read it!

waterhead37":3j9z43oa said:
It's great to get all these ideas about tool storage. I am in a never ending struggle with tools vs space.

I don't know who has seen the last page in the latest FWW (The WoodButcher) I got hot under the collar and squirmed in embarassment as I read it!

I really wasn't sure how to take that article -- or a few others in this month's issue. Every time I read FWW, I get the impression that they're not really sure what direction their magazine should take. Most magazines have a focus that guides their articles and content. FWW seems to flounder with the content and then use high quality, glossy photos and a pretty layout to cover their ineptitude. Can you tell I'm sad that I shelled out for the subscription? :roll:

This is the only magazine I receive where every single month I hope/wish/dream that the next issue might be better.

Dave,
I think it has its ups and downs and it is definitely in a down at the moment. However, I wouldn't blame it for that article - I just found it horribly accurate as far as I was concerned being honest with myself.

PW gets my vote at the moment as the best all round mag of most interest to most woodworkers.

nice tills, as for the magazines, i find that both Wood and PW are good.
have you guys checked the nov issue of PW re the dovetails and cutting with a hand saw articles very useful. and skilfully portrayed.

strangely i find Fine Housebuilding better these days.
paul 8)

Tsk. My "saw till" is very poor in comparison with these beauties. But on the other hand it was free and instant - albeit temporary. Yep, definitely temporary. Any time in the next 5 - 10 years I'm sure to do something about replacing it... :whistle: In a previous life it was a display for tubes of oil paint:

sawtill001.jpg

and a close up if you really care. Far from ideal because you have to exercise a good deal of care to avoid knocking the teeth against the metal, but handy for holding other tools waiting attention, as you can see. :oops:

Heck, I'm really teetering on the edge of making some form of tool storage with all this talk. Oh deary me. :-#

Cheers, Alf

What a remarkable number of backsaws!

I assume (he said, laughing like a drain) that they're all sharpened and tuned (and used) for different purposes...

BugBear

bugbear":i7dba40k said:
I assume (he said, laughing like a drain) that they're all sharpened and tuned (and used) for different purposes...
Well apart from the open handled 12" tenon and the 10" brass-backed dovetail that I cocked up when I sharpened it, erm, yes. Just don't ask me about the other ones in the boxes... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

To paraphrase Tom Price; I have this monkey on my back that smacks me on the head whenever I see a back saw. :whistle:

You asked :roll:

They're rather less cleaned, sharpened and set. 8-[ In fact one is totally sans teeth - but I bought it that way, honest guv! Oh, but I've just remembered there are two, or maybe three, in the tool chest which are all sharp etc, so the balance is definitely on the credit side. Oh yes, no question of that. As long as we don't count the handsaws...

It's not my fault saws are always so darn cheap, is it? The fact they've cost a fortune by the time they're in working order is neither here nor there. :whistle:

Cheers, Alf

Back