Saw this - well not lierally

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Before attending the Axi bash on Friday when I drove down on Thursday I visited Yandles for a look around

In the gallery beside the tool/wood store I saw this little cabinet for sale - The label stated made from Spalted Ash, local Walnut and cedar.

You can see from the bowls in the picture it wasnt very large and the doors concealed 4 small drawers

Pictured below - I have blanked the makers name but - It was priced at £4500 (Four Thousand Five Hundred Pounds)

What is you opinion on the pricing??

Cabinet.jpg

Dodge":1nxc87eh said:

Cabinet.jpg

Not my area, but i'd say it's a speculative piece, priced for a long shelf life with a healthy profit. If it were made to order, 1/2 the price.

But what do I know ?

I imagine the majority will think it over priced.

I would say it's impossible to say whether its overpriced or not without knowing who the maker is.

The true value is what someone is prepared to pay for it.

Bob is correct I think. It does depend on how much someone is prepared to pay. I find that pricing is an area thing too, in this area it just wouldn't sell at that price.

dr Bob -it always makes me wonder why the makers name makes a difference. If someone suddenly found out that the Mona Lisa was painted by John Prescott, it would be suddenly valued at 5 /8ths of f all, despite it's being the most important painting in the world two minutes before!
adidat- you're lucky! down here in Cornwall , we can't afford dungarees.

phil.p":1mw2em62 said:
you're lucky! down here in Cornwall , we can't afford dungarees.

I go to Watergate bay each year for 7-10 days, the prices they charge there are more expensive than the west end.... someones doing alright. :lol:

doctor Bob":jzvnda1b said:
phil.p":jzvnda1b said:

I go to Watergate bay each year for 7-10 days, the prices they charge there are more expensive than the west end.... someones doing alright. :lol:

It's what passes for agriculture in that part of the world - the milking and fleecing of grockels.

Cheshirechappie":3k6eykhz said:
doctor Bob":3k6eykhz said:
phil.p":3k6eykhz said:

It's what passes for agriculture in that part of the world - the milking and fleecing of grockels.

Yeh but, I thought you were only supposed to be milked 2 or 3 times a day, most days I'm on that milking machine all day long.

Karl":1q5uy6fu said:
Dodge":1q5uy6fu said:

Cabinet.jpg

Not my area, but i'd say it's a speculative piece, priced for a long shelf life with a healthy profit. If it were made to order, 1/2 the price.
Difficult and subjective, but this is a very complex piece, even though it looks comparatively simple. There's hardly a straight line in it, apart from the main carcase...look at the lines of the stand and all those curved rails and doors. To say that could be made in around a week (say 40 hours) is pushing the bounds a bit. My guess is that a fair price, as a commission to order would be around £3K tops, but don't forget that in the pic, it's being sold by a gallery who'll want their mark-up...maybe a £1K :duno: so perhaps £4.5K isn't to far off the mark, it's still a lot though - Rob

phil.p":2wk96ito said:
They are grockles in Devon, emmets in Cornwall-------sorry to be pedantic.

My Cornish lady wife says you are correct...and she must know..she's from Pedance! :mrgreen:

It must be too hot for coats by now...... :oops:

Jim

Back