SAW Stop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw that a few months ago, very snazzy! Although there is a wee dent in the sossy, the guy has a fair bit o' pace feeding it through. If he went a bit slower it would hardly break the skin

I don't know whether I could trust it or not, what I mean is that if you had one of these and you trusted it, you would most probably be less careful, then what if it did fail for some unknown reason, what would be the reason for failure, they say a small electrical charge controls it, would a thunderstorm affect it :shock: what about a mobile phone :shock: a microwave oven :shock: I don't know :? it just scares me more than having nothing.

Maybe i'm just an awkward sod that likes to dissagree, you can make your own mind up on that.

I had a talk about that thing with a few wooden boatbuilding guys over here. It might work, but if you are into sawing green wood or wood stored outside, or frozen wood just taken in to the workshop you might get misfires. Just a small hole in your woodshed roof, and when the wet spot on the plank goes to the saw, snap. Or at least the manufacturer should be able to give proof that it doesn't happen.

At least I don't make furniture only, I also fool around on old houses and wooden boats, feed the circular with a bit wet plywood for jigs and shelters... Well, probably that thing is too expensive for my allround work anyway :D

I've had my left index finger in the saw, my friend lost several just a month ago, these things are dangerously common. So I should not be too sceptic and still I am...

Pekka

Pekka Huhta":324035vo said:
I've had my left index finger in the saw, my friend lost several just a month ago, these things are dangerously common. So I should not be too sceptic and still I am...
Pekka

Pekka,

I must say I tend to agree with you on this. Having worked a bit in the electronics field I can assure you that there are many things which can effect the set up. You've mentioned wet wood and such like, there's also humidity and temperature.

I'm sure they've tested it under many situations but sods law says that there'll always be something they didn't test.

Also, as pointed out above, if you come to trust the thing implicitly are you not going to take safety a little less seriously, and for me at least loosing even one digit is not even worth contemplating :lol:

Blow using a hotdog to test things out - I used the real thing :D :D admittedly, I didn't have the sawstop!!!

DSC00042.jpg

If you read the bumf it says there is a switch to disable the system when cutting conductive material such as wet wood. That means the stop function wouldn't work in this situation and there would be no missfires but no protection as well.

ColG":1t1uul5r said:
Blow using a hotdog to test things out - I used the real thing :D :D admittedly, I didn't have the sawstop!!!

Sorry, are you saying that's a dummy hand or your hand :?: TBH I felt a bit sick looking at it, even if it was a dummy.

Looks like a non dummiy hand to me. Btw no sick feeling here when seeing the picture but an association with Easter Iland. :shock:

Put not thy trust in technology! I use Digit as my name as I'm minus one, lost to a safety device that failed!

Yeap, there were many discussions on all the American forums about the SawStop (SS) and all the replies were one big "Hallelujah" to the new technological marvel.

Personally, as Digit said, I would not trust a computer to protect my fingers....the last pilot that trusted his "Auto-land" was a Chinese airline pilot at Nagoya airport (Japan). Suddenly, the nose pitched up to 45° (as it was recorded on the flight data recorder), the aircraft stalled, and before they could react, they were already 2 Meters below the ground (or at least splashed all over the field).

At that time, we repeated the sarcastic joke;
"Ladies and gentleman, this aircraft is fully automatic and nothing can go wrong....nothing can go wrong....nothing can go wrong....wrong...wrong...wrong....Peeeeee, game over"

I replied to many of the threads and asked "can you give me a scenario that the SS will save your fingers...I mean, something like - I work without the guard or, I'm pushing the wood while my fingers are 3mm from the blade or alike"......usually, that was the last post on that thread...nobody replied...

So, come on guys, give me your good reasons/scenarios that you need the SS....I just want to remind you how much criticism Tony ate when his pictures where published on the magazine and even my post "Jointing on router table" was criticized...yes, I removed all the pictures...

Oh, I would like to show you my blade guard...I just touched it lightly by mistake...if it was not there, you would see a picture with a lot red color....but, it was there...

Regards
niki

Guard1.jpg

Guard2.jpg

Niki said:
[/quotI replied to many of the threads and asked "can you give me a scenario that the SS will save your fingers...I mean, something like - I work without the guard or, I'm pushing the wood while my fingers are 3mm from the blade or alike"......usually, that was the last post on that thread...nobody replied...e]

Don't worry Niki - I'm sure you've noticed that a lot of my posts are like that :) As far as keeping a thread running it's like the 'kiss of death' when I post something :lol:

Just take comfort from knowing you've said something that is so undeniably true that there can be no answer :lol: :lol: :lol:

Niki & Losos

I agree - that safe working practices should be paramount in woodworkers minds.

BUT

Accidents do happen. Irrespective of how safe one might normally work, we are all fallable and a split second lapse of concentration can be nasty. Surely it wouldn't hurt to have just another added protection to what is, after all, a highly dangerous machine?

I bet people were making these kinds of arguments when the riving knife and guard were first introduced!

Cheers

Karl

Losos":ndg59awh said:
Niki":ndg59awh said:
[/quotI replied to many of the threads and asked "can you give me a scenario that the SS will save your fingers...I mean, something like - I work without the guard or, I'm pushing the wood while my fingers are 3mm from the blade or alike"......usually, that was the last post on that thread...nobody replied...e]

Don't worry Niki - I'm sure you've noticed that a lot of my posts are like that :) As far as keeping a thread running it's like the 'kiss of death' when I post something :lol:

Just take comfort from knowing you've said something that is so undeniably true that there can be no answer :lol: :lol: :lol:

You too eh! I thought I was the only one, in fact I was getting paranoid :lol:

karlley":1m948qhl said:
Niki & Losos

I agree - that safe working practices should be paramount in woodworkers minds.

BUT

Accidents do happen. Irrespective of how safe one might normally work, we are all fallable and a split second lapse of concentration can be nasty. Surely it wouldn't hurt to have just another added protection to what is, after all, a highly dangerous machine?

I bet people were making these kinds of arguments when the riving knife and guard were first introduced!

Cheers Karl

Yes you are probably right but the riving knife and guard don't work off a small electrical charge that's just floating in the air :shock: I just wouldn't trust something that has no physical presence, as I said in an earlier post, if you become reliant on guards your own guard drops and that's when accidents happen.

karlley":2u2uvszc said:
Accidents do happen

Cheers

Karl
Hi Karl

I was working almost 40 years in aviation. You could see in every dispatch room in very big letters;

"Accidents do not happen - they are caused"

I think that if one is working in a dangerous profession (or hobby), be it flying airplanes or woodworking that every small mistake can cost injury or life, he must be concentrated 100% on what he is doing or the way that he is doing it.

I think that ones, one trains himself and have it deep in mind that "no hands around the blade" be it 3" or 10" and no matter what is happening, the blade will cut exactly what we want it to cut...the wood...but if not...you crash...

Regards
niki

MM - I agree, to a certain extent. I actually showed the clip to my dad, and his first words were "I wouldn't trust that". And I think only a fool would adopt poor working practices on the basis that his saw was fitted with Saw Stop.

Niki - You have quoted me out of context. After I said that "Accidents do happen" I also went on to say that we are all fallable and it only takes a split second lapse in concentration for a nasty accident to occur. ie all accidents are the result of some action or inaction. Or something like that. I also started my post saying that correct working practices are paramount to woodworkers.

The point I am making is this. If you were offered two table saws, each identical in spec etc, but one of them was fitted with SS, which one would you choose?

Cheers

Karl

I'd have the one fitted with S.S., anything that might help in case of an accident surely has to be good. :wink:

Karl, I never said anything about poor working practice, what i did say was if something is guarded your own guard drops, for instance, how safe would you feel about walking up a gangplank with no handrails, I reckon you would be thinking 'i'm gonna get wet' if it had handrails you'd be thinking 'there's no chance i'm gonna get wet' do you see what i mean, perhaps i'm talking nonsense but thats the way my head works, or maybe i'm just a fool :lol:

MM - the reference to poor working practices were my own words - I wasn't trying to make out you'd either said or implied that. Don't think I explained v. well.

I do understand your train of thought, so we must both be fools :lol:

Cheers

Karl

Latest posts

Back