Saw sharpening success!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Established Member
Reaction score
Just sharpened a saw for the first time in anger ..... and actually, it's not that difficult (relatively speaking and with a bit of help from Tom Law's saw sharpening DVD and some practice on a disgusting €4 piece of tat from a DIY shed).

The saw is my Dad's old Disston D8 7-point crosscut and it now cuts lovely! :D

It's a later Canadian HK Porter saw but still seems very good to me (in my ignorance). Was there any/much less quality to the later saws or is this still one that should be cherished and valued above what's available today?

I'm thinking about removing the nasty varnish from the handle too but I'm not sure if I can bring myself to. Had a look at this thread:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... ht=disston

but I'm still not sure. In general I hate varnish on handles.

Hi Scott

Is the "varnish" on the handles really that, or is it shellac? A rub with methylated spirits will confirm one way or the other. If shellac, it is easy to refinish by simply applying another coat.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek

Not too sure. It has gone all "crazed" like old porcelain. I'll give it a rub with some meths.

Thanks

Congrats on the sharpening, Scott. =D>

As far as cherishing and valuing goes; it was your dad's, it's the first saw you ever sharpened, and I assume you don't have another saw of similar tooth set-up about the place? Sounds worth cherishing and valuing to me. :D

I wouldn't worry too much about removing the finish - if you fancy to, do it. I know what you mean about it being hard to bring yourself to do it, but I'm increasingly realising that it makes more sense to make a working tool as pleasant to use as possible then suffer blisters or a pain in your aesthetic soul. Heck, take a rasp and abrasive to it if you feel the shape needs a little tweaking. We won't tell. :wink: Try the meths though, 'cos I've managed to fix a crazed finish on a tool handle before now by just wiping on another coat of shellac, as Derek says. And it's a lot easier than removing the old finish...

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf. I was quite chuffed to not have made a mess of the sharpening because it seemed quite daunting. Don't think I'll be rushing to attack the LN Dovetail saw quite yet though! :)

As for the handle I think I'll just try the meths - the word "rasp" put a shiver up my spine :shock: :)

Scott":2zl074mm said:
the word "rasp" put a shiver up my spine :shock: :)
Tsk. You've taken the plunge with saw sharpening and yet a rasp worries you? For shame. [-X :lol: Rasps are a Good Thing and chronically under-used. 'Course up until recently it was a fairly inexpensive Slope too... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Heh heh! No, it was just the word rasp in conjunction with my saw handle that gave me the heebie jeebies! :D .........can't see that I'd have much use for any of Michel Auriou's finest .......at the present moment in time.......... :? :D

Back