saw keep

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

stupid boy!
Reaction score
I am in no doubt that I have re-invented the wheel for the bajillionth time. But if you're a newbie like me, you may find this useful.

20220429_135242.jpg

A piece of 20mm plastic tubing slit down the side, tied on with string. At the moment I store my saws hanging from hooks and those without keepers get one of these.

This little baby is a 4" tenon saw. For the first time in ages it now has beautiful little teeth. I don't want the other ruffians, (especially that ripper), knocking this one about. So it will have to live in a drawer amongst an odd lot with this attachment to guard its virtue.

Seriously, I am always willing to learn, so if anyone has good ideas for saw storage, please let me know.

I think that saw should be called a 'Gentleman's Back Saw' rather than a Tenon.

A simple saw till like this one is easily made from, in my case, either recycled heat-treated pallets or a random pine IKEA something out of a skip. No fancy joints or anything.

Saw Till

I didn't bother with the toggles or fancy angled holders, just made two sections to rack them all up side by side; one section for larger saws and another for tenon & dovetail saws etc. etc. I did have to fiddle a bit to find the right angle on each section so the saws don't tip backwards. I just really liked the shape of the sides and through-tenons...

There's a million and one plans, with drawers and all sorts of complications, but I'm not that skilled.

Thanks for that. Just looking at the photo is quite timely for me. I am getting some metal shelves for my shed and am already thinking about making tool racks for different sets of tools.

I have added a couple of mods to the plastic tubes. Instead of a straight cut down the tube I make a cut in which the angle changes slightly every few inches or so. This helps the tube grip the saw blade. I have also cut a small V into each end of the cut. This helps when slipping on the guard.

No doubt most people already do things like this, but if there actually exists a newbie out there with less experience than me these tips might help.

Back