Saw handle screw/ bolt thingies.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. I'm making a handle for a freebie hardpoint tenon saw I've had for probably 30 years, and the Phillips head machine screws screw straight into the plastic of the old handle. I think we can probably do a bit better than that.

Just to post an option to the (I'm sure very good) ones from Workshop Heaven that are always linked to when the subject comes up, https://www.tilgear.info/rss200bpl-repl ... saw-screws

I've picked up a few saws with the intention of saving them with new handles but the replacement nuts become the stumbling block for a saw that doesn't have much age to it. A tenner or more to fix a free/£1-2 saw doesn't make sense to me what with secondhand saws not being rare, even here, where tools are relatively thin on the ground. I got a Disston Canada steel-backed saw some months back in a job lot online, where the entire saw could be figured to have been only a Euro or even free. And a couple of weekends ago at a car boot I picked up a similar no-name saw (riveted handle) that was just €4, and it's still sharp enough to use.

MikeG.":2j7mqlvz said:
Thanks guys. I'm making a handle for a freebie hardpoint tenon saw I've had for probably 30 years, and the Phillips head machine screws screw straight into the plastic of the old handle. I think we can probably do a bit better than that.
If you're making it out of bog oak you owe me some off cuts or you're gonna have to change your signature mate. Just saying. I know you're gonna come back with some 'swap in swap out handle tool ratio numbers haven't changed nonsense' so let's be clear you are upscaling. That's the exact same as tool collecting. (*Gasps from the Jury*) Let's not pretend you haven't become obsessed. That's even worse than buying new tools when you have enough tools already and so do I.
*Judge bangs Gavel repeatedly shouting 'Order! I will have ORDER!'
That's making your old tools pretty sweet lookin' for the sake of prettiness.
(*Jury faints in awe*)

*Mumbles into hand * Just leave the off cuts at the usual spot and no one gets hurt.

Bm101":2v6kf04g said:
MikeG.":2v6kf04g said:
If you're making it out of bog oak you owe me some off cuts or you're gonna have to change your signature mate. Just saying. I know you're gonna come back with some 'swap in swap out handle tool ratio numbers haven't changed nonsense' so let's be clear you are upscaling. That's the exact same as tool collecting. (*Gasps from the Jury*) Let's not pretend you haven't become obsessed. That's even worse than buying new tools when you have enough tools already and so do I.
*Judge bangs Gavel repeatedly shouting 'Order! I will have ORDER!'
That's making your old tools pretty sweet lookin' for the sake of prettiness.
(*Jury faints in awe*)

*Mumbles into hand * Just leave the off cuts at the usual spot and no one gets hurt.

Please don't read this thread. :lol:

Back