Saw Handle Refurb

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickN

Established Member
Reaction score
Nothing particularly out of the ordinary here, but the first time I've deliberately bought an old hand saw with a view to giving it a bit of a makeover, and I am quite pleased with the result, certainly compared to the initial condition anyway. I used only elbow grease and hand tools, no electricity required for this one. Sharpening the blade will come later, after my Paul Sellers saw and plane workshop in a couple of weeks.

So... the saw came to me looking like this, missing its medallion and with a rather grotty handle:

RokFMvah.jpg

btg3kmBh.jpg

NMU8nnDh.jpg

Even before it arrived though I could see it was a nice 26" Disston which even without the medallion is possible to date to the period 1928 - 1947, due to the style of 'D8' on the etching and the handle made of apple wood. This also means that the medallion it would have had must have been either a last 'Phila' or first 'USA' brass type - luckily I had one of the former as a spare, and as it fits like a glove into the recess left by the old one, I imagine it is correct.

To start with I used a scraper (the sort for removing paint) to remove as much of the cracked lacquer (most likely shellac) as possible. Then a lot of work with sanding pads, being careful to retain as much of the detail and curves of the handle as I could. Eventually, the handle after sanding but before any finishing applied - looks already very nice just like this:

CoLcbGch.jpg

Saw nuts after a spot (ok, several spots) of TLC with a soaking in white vinegar followed by scrubbing with a maroon Scotchbrite pad and a hand drill:

0oiXjpch.jpg

Over the course of a week I applied a total of six thin coats of Colron Antique Oil (a blend of tung oil and other resins) by rag, wiping off after 30 minutes and buffing lightly, allowing to dry overnight each time, then sanding down between the last couple of coats with 0000 steel wool. The final result looks like this:

rCyM6mvh.jpg

yHAKmTeh.jpg

7aR5BM9h.jpg

It feels so much nicer to hold now, and looks great, without, imho, looking plasticky or brand new either. This pic shows some of the items used in the refurb:

Rldmcw8h.jpg

Very nice. It looks so much more attractive now, a "best" saw, not an ordinary one.

Very neat work - it looks more like a saw you were lucky enough to find in excellent (verging on new) condition, not like a restoration at all.

Subtle work - well done!

BugBear

Thanks for the comments, and this saw should hopefully become of my regular users once its sharpened. I was in two minds whether to shellac or use the tung/varnish oil blend - I think either would have been good.
Next project will be an old tenon saw or an old plane... but having to use the dining room table at the moment means I don't want to, um, overstay my welcome with the Wife... :D Still, only another 2 tonnes of sand and gravel to mix and the workshop floor will be complete. Then lights are a must, as it has no windows.

Latest posts

Back