Saw handle finish ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
before Jimi suggests it I will get in there first- what about tru-oil?

Pure Tung oil, Tru-Oil, or Minwax Antique Oil Finish, are all great for saw handles, wax them with Johnson's Paste Wax when you're done.

Toby

P.S. Someone will jump in here and remind us all about shellac being the traditional finish.

If memory serves, the original manufacturer's finish was something called 'Lacquer', which might be shellac based, or some sort of varnish.

For what it's worth, I finished the last saw handle I made with three coats of Danish oil, allowed to cure for a week and then buffed with a soft cloth. The result still has a nice 'wood' feel, and a subtle sheen. I've tried polyurethane varnish in the past, and it feels like a sort of plastic coat on the wood - not as pleasant at all. Unless you want absolute authenticity, I'd definitely go for an oil-based finish.

Cheshirechappie":3j9jpxae said:
If memory serves, the original manufacturer's finish was something called 'Lacquer', which might be shellac based, or some sort of varnish.

For what it's worth, I finished the last saw handle I made with three coats of Danish oil, allowed to cure for a week and then buffed with a soft cloth. The result still has a nice 'wood' feel, and a subtle sheen. I've tried polyurethane varnish in the past, and it feels like a sort of plastic coat on the wood - not as pleasant at all. Unless you want absolute authenticity, I'd definitely go for an oil-based finish.

Or an oil-varnish mix - I've had good results on tool handles with both of Danish Oil and Liberon's "Finishing Oil".

BugBear

Depends on the wood. For beech and fruit woods I like BLO or TruOil (dries faster than BLO) the best. A little Carbauba wax on top if you want it glossy.

Cheers
Pedder

Back