Saw for cutting up scavenged firewood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Bosch 35 has the motor to the left, we use a steel cruciform 'horse' to hold the timer, the whole arrangement places the operator to the left of the blade with a steel framework between them and the blade. Short of a suit of armour we can't do much more. You can't protect against idiocy of course, I once saw a chap try cutting a log on a flat bench with the log half way along the blade!

Roy.

I suspected that using a sawhorse, following the correct procedures and using common sense would be okay, considering that I'm only cutting firewood and not felling trees or trimming branches from a ladder.

The main problem I had with the circular saw when I tried it yesterday is that I'm left-handed, so had to hold the saw much further out with one hand while the other kept the wood pressed against the bench hook as the blade is on the right hand side. After an hour my arm was a bit achy! Using two hands with the chainsaw (even if I do it right-handed) would be easier.

Mark

Mark,
I believe the chainsaw is overkill for hacking into pallets and scavenged timber for the fire. In addition to my cheap Bosch circular saw I have a Makita UC3520 ? electric chain saw, currently £96 at Axminsters. I sold my old 50cc petrol 20" blade MuCulloch to buy this, as I no longer needed or wanted something so big and heavy. To my surprise the Makita is more capable, although cannot be used in the middle of a field. I only use this on wet logs, branches etc. After each use, that is generally a good couple of hours, it gets a good clean as it does get fairly caked up due to shavings and sticky chainsaw oil. As regards safety ware, its goggles, gloves and a fleecy top/sweater. Although this does not tick all the H&S requirements it at would at least go some way towards clogging up the chain if it got caught.

Colin

Too late I'm afraid because I've already bought one! It's the Bosch Digit mentioned above. I managed to find the receipt for the faulty recipro saw (which was 2 1/2 years into its guarantee) and return it to B&Q, as well as the circular saw I bought yesterday. I only received a partial refund from B&Q as they take into account wear and tear? I've never heard of that before as it hasn't happened in the past, so I phoned head office and the guy confirmed that it was correct? Doesn't matter really as I didn't even know I had the receipt and the saw was in the van ready to go to the tip tomorrow, so any money back is a bonus :mrgreen:

Mark

Mark...
Can't you buy a decent 'evolution' type blade, and fit it to your existing circular saw? (I am assuming you have one?)

I don't do metalwork, but I do have the occasional need to cut the stuff neatly. I was considering a special blade instead of a cheap saw. (But then I do already have two saws, due to a 'friend' burning out one I loaned him, and then being a bit slow in buying me a replacement!) :D

HTH :D

Mark, the Bosch chain saw is left or right hand operated and light in weight, over kill? Does the job well, pallets as well as logs or sawn timber, we burn them all.
PS.
I missed your post where you said you had got one, good luck. This is the type of horse we use......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHAINSAW-META ... 1c23fb8ce1

... looks flimsy I know, but it ain't!

Roy.

Hi Roy

I bought one from B&Q last Tuesday. My new favourite toy. I mean tool :roll: :mrgreen:

I was going to make a simple sawhorse but they don't work very well with pallets so was considering buying a Triton/AEG Superjaws or Worx Jawhorse. Whatever I get, it'll be better than clamping the pallets down onto my temporary workbench (6ft of kitchen worktop) as they need constant repositioning. After 27 pallets last night I'll try anything!

Benchwayze - I haven't had a need until now for a circular saw since I bought my plunge saw a year last November, but the Wickes one I tried was too awkward for prolonged use, being left handed, plus it was wasn't very good. The chainsaw is much better!

Cheers,
Mark

I believe! I believe!
MSN-Emoticon-123.gif

Roy.

I've cut 10's of tons of demolition timber over the years with a Bosch jigsaw- o.k. some of the large stuff needed more, but you can be quite efficient with a jigsaw and at least it's not the end of the world when you ruin a blade.
As regards the timber--near white and tough-does it stink when cut? if so it might be hemlock.

Back