Saw Files Confused

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcdemon

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to purchase some saw files to touch up my 14tpi rip and carcass back saws and my 10tpi crosscut panel saw.
I was looking at Bacho but am confused about the codes and am struggling to decide on the correct ones to order.
Advice on these or other options appreciated.

Bahcos smallest offering is a 4 x slim unless they've started making small xx slim files. You may find a 4 or 5 inch xx slim file preferable for the 14 ppi saw.

I believe they make a 6 xx slim , but not sure. If they do, it would be my choice for a 9 tooth crosscut carpenter saw.

Nicholson makes decent 4xx and 5xx files. They had some quality problems when they first went to mex but they seem to have resolved them. Last I looked, they (5xx) were $3 a file on Ebay here, but may be much more there. I bought a dozen at that time.

Bahco makes a better file, but it doesn't matter if they don't make the size you're looking for.

Different makes have different corner shape and size. Once you find something for each saw, use the same size and make of file each time to avoid wasting time screwing around with the gullets changing shape.

Bahcos corners are more round than some, so you won't get away with using too large of a file in small teeth.

The basic rule of thumb when deciding on a file size for a given saw-tooth size is to select a file where the width of the flat sides are just slightly twice the length of the back of the tooth (the longeer portion of the two sides of a tooth). This means that you use fresh file-teeth as each pair of sides wear down and keep the shape of the teeth and adjoining gullets as small as possible, while avoiding unused parts of the file and maximising the cutting area.

Personally, for a 14 to 16 TPI saw I would select a 4 inch xx slim first because the radius is smaller than the 4 inch x slim….. sadly they are hard to find - at least I can’t find any, so for that size of saw select the 4 inch x slim. For bigger saw-teeth, select a file with wider sides, keeping to the same rule.....

As an explanation, saw files were sometime (and confusingly) called 6-side files when they are, in fact, triangular. They have three straight sides connected by three slightly curved edges. It is this curve that cuts the rounded gullet or point of the saw edge. Most of the stress in use is at this point and it’s usually the first bit to wear out when the sides are still cutting well.

My preference in the UK is for Bahco….. it’s what I’ve always used. I take the point that the gullet radius may be generous and it is this part that determines the shape as the saw teeth get bigger.

However..... saw-files are getting expensive! You won't get a lot of change out of ten-quid for a good file.

Anyone tried this? - good small saw files for fine teeth being scarce/expensive, I used a triangular ("three-square") file, but just 'tickled' the edges with a stone - enough to round off but still cut a little - seemed to work OK and I found old/good triang files quite cheaply.

I haven't, but if it works, it works.

Somewhere a while ago, I found a cheap chinese double cut three square file with very sharp edges. I use it to cut slots for new teeth in plates and it's done many. It is super hard, never cut fast, but has held up well.

Not sure that you need to break the edges before using those files unless they aren't holding up in work.

McDemon.
If you look aronnd the forum there is a concurrent sawfile thread. If you can hang on for a few weeks you might get some unused old quality files from there.

Hi everyone on this thread.

I am on with the saw sharpening files but pushed to complete other jobs until 5th November (huge amount of cement bonded asbestos sheeting, some to be dug out of the ground where it has been used as soil holdback). I am having them checked over by AES, Ukw member via Skype in Switzerland - we've picked out scrap from good to what appear unused. There are many of them, many sizes, branded (Stubs, Oberg, plus plus others) and unbranded. I believe he thought them good to excellent. I will offer them here asap but I might need help to settle on pricing as none in pre-owned/new old stock condition being offered for sale elsewhere that I can see.

Many other files too. We are going to have a Skype session on the tiny jewellery type this week.

If it's permissible and anyone wanted to do it by PM that is okay with me after 5th November. (Do tell me though if I am outside of the forum rules with this offer please ... I'm keen not to get into trouble here!!!)

Linda

Latest posts

Back