Saw brand and history

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zebedeedoda

Reaction score
Afternoon all.
I picked up a saw the other day at a car boot thing.
Been trying to find out a bit about it.

There is a symbol of a viking ship with the word Viking underneath and around that are the words A B Lidkopings, Viking Sagar and Lidkoping. I think Lidkoping is a town or city.
If anybody knows anything then please let me know.

What kind of saw?

Pics might help. But even if not would at least be of interest if you can manage a few, don't think many saws of continental origin have been posted here.

Aktiebolag (Swedish pronunciation: [²aktsɪɛbʊˌlɑːɡ], "stock company") is the Swedish term for "limited company" or "corporation". When used in company names, it is abbreviated AB (in Sweden), Ab (in Finland), or A/B (for some older companies), roughly equivalent to the abbreviations Ltd and PLC.
Lifted from Google.

J. Sagar was apparently also a machine maker from Halifax.... don't suppose for a moment it relates to your handsaw but worth a look at this website anyway. :wink:
http://www.sagar-woodworking-machinery.co.uk/index.htm

Ed. Think I'd PM Heimlaga.

Pictures of badge and saw

Attachments

• 1558258724661.jpg
    1558258724661.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 462
  • 1558259263719.jpg
    1558259263719.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 462
Just taking a break from doing some guttering and thought I'd have another google. Nothing tangible about the Sagar name I can find but the original meaning is tantalisingly poetic for a 'Viking' saw, if a bit dubiously fanciful. :D

This very interesting surname is of Anglo-Saxon or Norse-Viking origin. It derives from the pre 7th Century personal name "saegar", which translates as "sea-spear".
https://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Sagar

A bit more searching found this chaps website. A fascinating read at any rate and a similar logo.
Definitely better than doing the guttering. I'd be tempted to drop him an email.
http://norsewoodsmith.com/?q=content/backsaw-project
cheers
Chris

Just speculating about the Viking brand... I wonder if it was specifically for export, to take advantage of people's image of Vikings as being skilled at invading and cutting things up.
British firms had brands that were only or mostly for export markets. Kangaroos to Australia, that sort of thing.

I believe that the wording "Viking Sagar" simply means Viking Saws in Swedish. So, it would appear that the saw in question is a product of the company featured in the image below. Taken from a publication about Swedish manufacturing in 1923. I don't know how long the company continued in business, but the works were established in 1915. Hope this helps.

Don McConnell
Eureka Springs, AR

Attachments

• Viking-Saws.jpg
    Viking-Saws.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 416
Many thanks for all the replies folks.
I've found over the years that many older tools are way above their modern equivalents in terms of the quality of steel used. I know there are modern brands that are pissibly better if not just as good as. For a few pounds one can get some cracking older stuff. I still have some of my dear old Dad's stuff he had in the Royal Navy in the late 30's early 40's.
My sons have stuff I had as an apprentice back in the late 70's.
The days when Britool was made a few miles down the road from my home.
Oh well I suppise things change and there is a degree of tool snobbery. I know because I've been guilty of it.

Latest posts

Back