Saved from the skip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adzeman

Established Member
Reaction score
A local builder and friend having bought a property to modernise and sell on, asked me if I could make him some matching fence topping panels to sit between two defined spaces. His fencing contractor had declined the work by putting in a high price knowing it would be refused. His argument being, the panels are not standard in size (one is standard width but not height). The pattern of squares is not available only diagonal. The squared pattern available would have to be framed due to its flimsy nature. His 8 carpenters are on more profitable work and he didn’t want to them for a nowt job.

Could I help? Just tell me what material you need and I will get it.

I replied by saying “ there’s more than enough material in your skip” I always keep my eye on any skips for any free timber and had given his the once over when I arrived.
9 hours later I delivered these two panels. Not certain if 9 hours is an economical time but I did have to machine all the components to size.

DSCN4759.JPG

It's downright wrong, the amount of good wood that the trade chucks out with no attempt to recycle. At least this time there was a happy ending - well done!

(On the other hand - I've had a lot of good wood out of skips myself!)

Skips are a good source of material and I always ask the owner if I can taavke the material never been refused as yet. I have a colleague who cant resist collecting wood from skips especially hardwood. My motto is "Builders continue to be wasteful"

AndyT":674cn79f said:
It's downright wrong, the amount of good wood that the trade chucks out with no attempt to recycle. At least this time there was a happy ending - well done!

If a trade has no where to store the items then wheres it going to go? Back of the van?

Stormer1940":25vf1bhv said:
AndyT":25vf1bhv said:

If a trade has no where to store the items then wheres it going to go? Back of the van?

The simplest and best approach is for them to get to know their local timber recycling organisation. Many parts of the country now have social enterprises which collect unwanted timber from building sites, sort it and either sell it for re-use or recycle it into pellets for fuel or chippings for board products. Collection services can be cheaper than skips; small amounts can be dropped off at the yard.

To read more about the benefits and find your nearest scheme, have a look at http://www.communitywoodrecycling.org.uk/

They are also a good source for cheap wood!

Has it something to do with taking off quantities and allowing waste? In the olden days we had Quantity Surveying and the Standard Method of Measurement book. This all went when Quantity Surveyors became Project Managers and Contracts became Management Contracts.

Latest posts

Back