Saved from scrap

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John. B

Established Member
Reaction score
Hollow form box with lid & finial, recycled from an Lignum Vitae old bowling ball (Wood)
Segmented with two bands of Holly.

Critique welcome.

BowlingballboxCombined.gif

John. B

Firstly I'm sorry to say I'm not keen on the finial, but I understand the need for it as a knob. Can't think of a more suitable alternative.
Secondly it's fantastic, what a finish! Very attractive oval. Brilliant.

Hi John B
i love this and i like the finial, i have just picked up four bowling balls and was looking for a bit of insperation as to what to do with them i think you may have just given it to me.

With your permission i think i would like copy your idea or at least use it as a pattern, any chance of a bit more detail as to how you went about turning it, especially the initial holding method did you use a screw chuck to start it off.

I think you have made a fantastic job of this and i only hope i can do simular justice to mine.

Regards

Berns

Bleddy Auld show off ,can you not make something that is not attractive and lovely to look at :?: :?: What a superb finish as well. Wish I could hire a train and send you all my scrap .
Really lovely piece John .

hi john
you have done a great job on that bowling ball.
those bands of holly really set the lignum vitae off.
a truly inspirational bit of turning. =D>
thanks for sharing.
cheers
paul-c

Gentlemen,

what can I say except thank you for your very kind words.

Berns,

You are very welcome to copy it as you please, I think the hardest part was cutting it on the bandsaw.

You really need a jig to hold anything spherical, trying to hold anything like this by hand is dangerous.

When you cut through a bowling ball you'll be surprise to find under the plastic cap each side a hole runs right through the ball.

This means orientation on the finished item is limited. In my case it meant I had to use two balls for the box.

however, it does mean you have a ready made hole for the screw chuck. Therefore the piece for the base can be cut off from the second ball

thick enough for the base and plug (for the hole) to keep the grain matching.

As you going to have a contrasting banding between the rest of the body It really doesn't matter. (same for the cap and finial)

I did though try to match as much of the grain pattern as I could.

Here's a pic of the base, Best of luck on your project.

John. B

BTW because Lignum is so dense, it takes a superb finish.

Back