Sat Navs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
I was watching one of those 'police' programmes last night. A driver was using a ford and turned left down the river!
The programme stated that Sat Navs resulted in 300000 accidents a year and that 1.5 million drivers blamed them for their mistakes.
My map never seems to make any mistakes though. :lol:

Roy.

Was once in Wales and the sat nav directed me down what started out as a single lane but as I got further down the terrain became much worse it was like a horse track, problem was it was too steep to reverse back up as the surface was slippy so I had no option other than to keep going.
The track became muddy ruts overgrown with grass where carts must have passed years ago and the foliage either side had gradually closed in and the place was in the middle of no-where. Thankfully old trusty kept going and I eventually broke free of the foliage and exited in front of a shallow river which I managed to drive across and drove up onto a farm road, phew :shock:
Longest mile I ever drove :mrgreen:

When I here about these people I wonder what they would do if I asked them to jump of a bridge, maybe there spending too much time looking at the sat nav and not the road.

Sure I have taken a road, also a farm track that I also regret taking but it also tried to get me to go a rail line and I am here to tell the tale so obviously I did not take that at the time.

Most of these people would still have an accident and have another excuse for it.

Pre SatNav days I managed to drive up the M25.
'What's wrong with that?' I hear you thinking.
They'd only just started the section and there was no actual road surface. There were huge holes all over the place, it was dark, raining and the mud was like a swamp.
Hairiest mile I ever drove.

I don't hold with all these new fangled thing-a-me-jigs. I can get lost without the aid of a Sat Nav!

Roy.

I have one built into my car which I recon I've hardly used in 3 years and my missus has a Tomtom sat nav she'd be lost :lol: without - however we had one in Australia and it was very useful indeed.

When I first got my car a would set it then deliberately drive a different way (locally so I knew the area :roll: ) just to hear the German female voice getting more and more insistant that I " must do a U turn in 100 metres" Zey hav vays of making you do as zey say!

I had a guy come into the workshop a few months ago looking for address in the village.

He had driven up from just outside Newcastle and was looking for a house he was thinking of renting.

He had just entered Wark into his sat nav and set off.

There are 2 Wark's in Northumberland about 60 miles or so apart and he had just arrived at the wrong one.

So he had just driven 70 odd miles instead of about 30

He even had the post code but did not realise he could set his sat nav with this.

If I want directions I normally use the AA website and print off directions and also use a road atlas.

It should be made illegal to fasten a tv screen to your windscreen.

There was a bit on TV the other day about mountain rescue and they were saying that there are idiots who use their sat navs to try to find their way when out fell walking and don't know how to use a proper map and compass.

Tom

I use my SatNav all the time but do try to always be ready for the unexpected. On holiday recently, following the SN I was taken down a lane, that became a single track that became a 90 degree bend. My cars quite long so it took a 27 point turn to get us round it only to come out 50 ft above the house we rented and 100 ft down a steep track to get to the back of the house...needless to say we went another route to get out.

What amazed me was the sign in the overgrown hedge that said No Trucks...No SatNav route. It seems trucks have followed the narrow lane/bridleway and got stuck on the 90 degree bend requiring a heavy crane type lorry to reverse for 1.6 miles to drag them out....fun.

Al

It's the old story though Tom. Not the technology at fault, just the silly person using it.
Didn't he suspect something when he crossed the Tweed with the notice "welcome to Scotland" :lol:

Bob

Digit":25h6rrvc said:
I was watching one of those 'police' programmes last night. A driver was using a ford and turned left down the river!
The programme stated that Sat Navs resulted in 300000 accidents a year and that 1.5 million drivers blamed them for their mistakes.
My map never seems to make any mistakes though. :lol:

Roy.

I'd have expected it if he'd had been using an Audi.

Bob

You turn off just before the border at Cornhill on Tweed.

I live on the Scottish side of the Tweed but the Workshop is on the English side.

The really annoying thing is I pass the workshop on the Scottish side and then have another 4 miles through Coldstream to go to get there.

Tom

Digit":2mokj3js said:
I don't hold with all these new fangled thing-a-me-jigs. I can get lost without the aid of a Sat Nav!
Roy.

Me to :lol: 'tho I must admit it has been a great help when crossing Germany, Belgium, and France.

Where ever I go I always take a map and a sat nav. I think this is the best combination, I always use a post code but I am now moving over to GPS co-ordinates which is obviously the most accurate.

Just entering the town name is a waste of time IMO

tomatwark":2xrw1za8 said:
Bob

You turn off just before the border at Cornhill on Tweed.

I live on the Scottish side of the Tweed but the Workshop is on the English side.

The really annoying thing is I pass the workshop on the Scottish side and then have another 4 miles through Coldstream to go to get there.

Tom

What about a boat to cross the river? :lol: :lol:

I know the area quite well Tom. You live in a beautiful part of the UK.

When the kids were young we would hitch up the caravan most weekends and park up on the banks of the Tweed at Coldstream where I would while away the hours fishing for trout while the missus did whatever wives do :wink:
An easy drive from my home near Morpeth.
We sometimes used to hire a cottage on the Teviot - Monteviot Estate - (more fishing :lol: ) and have relatives in Gala and spread around the Borders. One of these, sadly no longer with us, flatly refused to travel further south than Newcastle which he considered was part of Scotland, so you workshop is not on English land :)

We occasionally have a drive out around the area but sadly not enough these days.

Bob

The Workshop is in England, the Tweed is the border at this point, I live in Scotland just north of Coldstream

I have thought about about a WW2 Duck but I think my landlady who also has the fishing rights would not be to happy about it, let alone the cost of fuel to run it.

Tom

tomatwark":2gw2dgtn said:
I have thought about about a WW2 Duck but I think my landlady who also has the fishing rights would not be to happy about it, let alone the cost of fuel to run it. Tom

There are loads of those around Australia and New Zealand for ferrying tourists around. I saw some in Singapore as well last week for trips around the harbour. they didn't look very seaworthy to me tho :roll:

Bob

I use my TomTom when we go out to see the sights around here and find it very useful. I have the womans voice on mine because I find it so much easier to ignore what a woman tells me to do :mrgreen:

I have thought about using the French voice, but reckoned that by the time the Galic shrug had finished I would have passed what ever it was I was supposed to turn at?

Latest posts

Back