Sat Navs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An Italian friend of mine uses satnav a lot when travelling on business.

The last time I went with him he was using the satnav with the voice commands turned off, which meant he missed a lot of turnings and was constantly having to make u-turns.

When I asked him about this he said that he was not about to have a woman telling him what to do!!

My father flew with the RAF in WW2 and knew a thing or two about navigation. Once at an airshow a proud operator was explaining the intricacies of a modern aircraft's state of the art computer controlled navigation system. This was listened to with great attention before Dad just remarked 'In my day we had maps'.

This is not to say that the RAF never lost their way in those days of course. Especially flying at night.

My Dad was a navigator in the RAF during WW2. He really wanted to be a pilot but his eyesight wasn't good enough

For part of his training he was stationed at Blackpool Squires Gate.

He told me they used to fly night navigation exercises out over the Irish sea. He said they used to try to do the required route as conscientiously as possible but, if they ever got into difficulties, they simply had to look out for the red light on top of Blackpool tower which could be seen from well over 100 miles away!!

Back