sash windows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sash windows (sliding sash windows) are a very basic construction but a real pain to make as all the timber sizes are not from stock . If you are overhauling them its as simple as a few lengths of parting and staff bead and a knot of sash chord . Are you planning to make a new window or replace an old one ? If replacing an old one take it out and copy it .
Welcome to the forum :D

Hi and welcome!

As JFC says, they can be difficult..... I'd suggest that if you need to build them you should get hold of a copy of one of the British City & Guilds (trade training) recommended text books such as Brian Porter's "Carpentry and Joinery 3" (Butterworth-Heinemann ISBN0-340-54551-8), however this book does pre-suppose that you have already acquired the carpentry and joinery skills required to select and machine the timber. It is most certainly not a DIY guide to sash windows. Also this book reflects British practice which may or may not meet the construction regulations where you are in France. The book devotes a chapter on the subject and it is well illustrated with drawings and cross sectional diagrams of this type of window.

Scrit

Im guessing you have casement windows that open in ? and want to change them to sash windows that slide up and down ?
If this is the case you will have to make your sash windows using springs rather than the traditional method of chord and weights as you need a rebate in the structure of the building for the traditional method .

in fact I have made some drawings based on the Aberdeen recomendation for restauration of windows found on the net. and the new windows would be put in place of the french style windows occupying the same high and width.

Any chance of you posting the pictures so we can give you more info :D
Im not quite sure what windows you have as french style is not a good discription for a window . Where i am a french window is a door :shock:

rhibon":b36j6amx said:
the objectiv is to make new ones, in fact the french style windows take too musch room in my workshop when opened

How about windows that open outwards
braco-openwindowinroom002.jpg

Bienvenue Rhibon

Felderman's suggestion of windows that open outwards seems easiest to me!

cheers

i was going to say the same thing, my palms don't look like that at the moment :twisted:

Andy

Windows that open outwards could bee a good idea but y have already a rabet on the inside of the wall and the window ledge is only 90 cm from the ground floor, seems risky for the grandchildren.

Try a google search on sliding sash cad . Ive had a quick look and you may get a result from that :D Because your building was made to take sash windows you only need to measure the depth of the rebate to know what you need to make . If the rebate is 125mm deep then you need to make the sash that deep if it has a 100mm wide then thats where you hide the workings of the sash plus an over hang to hold the top sash in place .
Or maybe this will help http://www.sash-style.co.uk/glossary.htm

The drawing doesn't show that you need a divider in void where the sash weights move up and down . A thin strip of hardboard or ply with a nail in the top will separate them so all runs smooth :D

Hi rhibon,
I made a sliding sash & box frame to replace my bathroom window, I copied the old one but I also bought a book Modern Practical Joinery by George Ellis its full of drawings & shows you how it was done the old traditional way the book was first published in 1902.
You can buy all the sash stile, bar, bottom/top rail & meeting rail from a decent timber company unless you want to machine them yours self.
Any way hope this helps

Mark

Scrit":vwoht0wq said:
I'd suggest that if you need to build them you should get hold of a copy of one of the British City & Guilds (trade training) recommended text books such as Brian Porter's "Carpentry and Joinery 3" (Butterworth-Heinemann ISBN0-340-54551-8Scrit

If it helps at all, we're advised (at college) to get hold of Peter Brett's latest two books on the subject of Carpentry and Joinery. Job Knowledge and... Site Practice, I believe they are. £50 a pair, but you never know, they might just help you out in more ways than one.

Back