Sash window

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look good. Inside edge of sash not usually painted, not least because you may well have to do a bit of adjusting to make them work nicely and it's out of sight anyway. I always painted primer only and left the rest to a pro painter, after fitting. They get messed about during fitting and usually need touching up anyway.

Thanks for all the kind comments!

@ thetyreman - well spotted regarding the moulding - I have fitted that now since the photo was taken - it sets the window of nicely!.

Since making this window I have also made a 6 panel interior door to match the existing doors in the house which I enjoyed doing.

I have also decided to make the kitchen cabinets for the house which is my next project so I'm still trying to work out the finer details of the cabinet design and how best to make them, It will be an in frame shaker style.

Very inspiring.

"How hard could it be?"

The answer was probably "very hard indeed", working it all out from first principles. And now you accidently have a fully equipped workshop. Did you still save money, even after buying all the tools? Not even remotely important, but it would be interesting to hear.

One thing that was questioned earlier but I can’t see the answer to was, how did you run the profiles on the frames, astragals etc? Some window replacement/renovation is in my ‘to-do’ list.

Cheers

Fitz.

Some window replacement is on my list, too, but I thought there were hoops to jump through, such as FENSA... thought I read somewhere that you could run into trouble trying to sell the house if you didn't have the right paperwork.
Having said that, I did make a couple of replacements. Couldn't believe how much timber went into them!

John Brown":py850tcj said:
Some window replacement is on my list, too, but I thought there were hoops to jump through, such as FENSA... thought I read somewhere that you could run into trouble trying to sell the house if you didn't have the right paperwork.
Having said that, I did make a couple of replacements. Couldn't believe how much timber went into them!

I didn't like bringing it up as window is a top job (and it often opens up a bit of a debate) but yeah, shouldn't it be double glazed?

Only asking in case you have found a loophole that I can use on future jobs?

Trainee neophyte":dc6vbp93 said:
Very inspiring.
Did you still save money, even after buying all the tools? Not even remotely important, but it would be interesting to hear.

Ha - like most blokes I love an excuse to buy tool! - I already had the mitre saw, but I bought a small table saw, band saw, and Morticer from Axminster and a planer/thicknesser off one of the forum members here. Just recently bought a track saw which I'm loving!

I was quoted consistently over £3k to have the window made and so I probably broke even after buying all the tools! But now I have them for making other stuff I want to do - plus its so satisfying to make stuff yourself and as we plan to stay in this house long term its an extra incentive!

Fitzroy":1cvith38 said:
One thing that was questioned earlier but I can’t see the answer to was, how did you run the profiles on the frames, astragals etc? Some window replacement/renovation is in my ‘to-do’ list.

Cheers

Fitz.

Hi Fitz - I used a router table - a difficult part Ive found with that is specifying the correct cutter! - Ive just used it again recently to make the mouldings for the doors I've made and again had to find the correct cutter. But probably the worst part is its hard and boring work - this is where I think a Spindle Moulder is the thing to have - not that ive ever used one - they look a bit serious though!

Doug71":30mgkt5k said:
John Brown":30mgkt5k said:

I didn't like bringing it up as window is a top job (and it often opens up a bit of a debate) but yeah, shouldn't it be double glazed?

Only asking in case you have found a loophole that I can use on future jobs?

As far as I know it was always here like all the other windows.... 8)

Burn this thread :D

monster":38dr6gn0 said:

Well it's such a good match I don't think anyone could argue any different =D>

Doug71":1ahp1v1b said:
monster":1ahp1v1b said:

Well it's such a good match I don't think anyone could argue any different =D>

And absolutely the right attitude. Is it your house, or some overpaid jobsworth council employee's house? If it's your house, do what you want, if it's not your house, why pay all that rent, sorry, I mean Council Tax? If they want their rental property built to their standards, they can pay.

{Disclaimer: reactionary attitudes may get you in to trouble/fined/imprisoned}

You're allowed to do a like for like repair though. So if you repaired two lights, then realised that the third one needed repairing too, you'd end up with a whole new window. That's what's happened here, isn't it? :wink:

Trainee neophyte":3bn34w1i said:
.........If it's your house, do what you want......

I don't want to start WW3, but that isn't the way the world works. A house isn't a stand-alone item: it's part of other people's lives too. That's why there are planning laws, environmental laws ("it's my house, if I want to install fog horns all over it and set them off every hour then I'm jolly well going to"), and laws to protect our historic built environment ("if I want to take the roof off this 14th century house and install a glass dome, I'm going to because it's mine").

MikeG.":39f9qv8e said:
Trainee neophyte":39f9qv8e said:
.........If it's your house, do what you want......

I don't want to start WW3, but that isn't the way the world works. A house isn't a stand-alone item: it's part of other people's lives too. That's why there are planning laws, environmental laws ("it's my house, if I want to install fog horns all over it and set them off every hour then I'm jolly well going to"), and laws to protect our historic built environment ("if I want to take the roof off this 14th century house and install a glass dome, I'm going to because it's mine").
And to protect us from the destructive consequences our own limited DIY knowledge and ability.

Back