Sash cramps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Could anyone please recommend a half decent set of sash cramps that don't cost the world? They will be for cabinets tables etc so a reasonable size needed, about 6 would do. Don't know how much I spend to get a half decent set.

Any help would be great
Thank you

i bought a set of these. I haven't used them a great deal, but from what I have they seem ok to me. The plastic covers fall off from time to time, but are easily put on providing you don't loose them. The pins are attached to the body by a piece of wire which has detached itself on almost all of the clamps. It is not a problem, again as long as you dont lose the pins.

In my experience, the clamps hold well. But as I say I haven't used them a great deal since buying them a year ago.

If I was buying again, I would probably try and get some pipe clamps and pipe instead. This is because having too long sash clamps is as bad as too short sometimes, and it would enable me to have a lot more sizes than I can afford in sashes. I got the rutlands ones on offer and for a tenner a piece, to my doorstep, i think that they are worth the money. I dont doubt that they are vastly inferior to the likes of Beesey, but I couldnt justify much more money at the time for a hobby.

If they are going to be in daily use etc, then perhaps check the advice of others. You may get better value for money from beeseys or other things suited to years of professional use.

tomatwark":9z3bshcs said:
fraser":9z3bshcs said:
Has anyone got any experience of these?
In the sale, £60 seems a great price but are they actually any good.....

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools/cl ... ash-clamps

Fraser

Spend the extra £40 and buy these http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod836668/

The Rutlands ones are rubbish I have both and only use the Rutlands ones as a last resort and will in the end weigh them in once I have replaced them.

Tom
W hile you're there you can buy a rack and save a massive five pence!

In my experience buying cheap clamps is a total waste of money. They bend. They don't clamp up tightly. They slip. They distort your assembly. They break. They drive you up the wall. Instead of buying 6 cheap ones, buy 2 good ones. Besseys are excellent, of course, but Record Irwin are the traditional standard.
You only need to buy them once.
S

Steve Maskery":2yp49tk5 said:
Record Irwin are the traditional standard.
You only need to buy them once.

+1. The ones made by Record Power are virtually identical (except they are green rather than blue) and can sometimes work out a couple of quid cheaper.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

marcros":2btfhlw0 said:
i bought a set of these. I haven't used them a great deal, but from what I have they seem ok to me. The plastic covers fall off from time to time, but are easily put on providing you don't loose them. The pins are attached to the body by a piece of wire which has detached itself on almost all of the clamps. It is not a problem, again as long as you dont lose the pins.

In my experience, the clamps hold well. But as I say I haven't used them a great deal since buying them a year ago.

If I was buying again, I would probably try and get some pipe clamps and pipe instead. This is because having too long sash clamps is as bad as too short sometimes, and it would enable me to have a lot more sizes than I can afford in sashes. I got the rutlands ones on offer and for a tenner a piece, to my doorstep, i think that they are worth the money. I dont doubt that they are vastly inferior to the likes of Beesey, but I couldnt justify much more money at the time for a hobby.

If they are going to be in daily use etc, then perhaps check the advice of others. You may get better value for money from beeseys or other things suited to years of professional use.

Yep, pipe clamps are great, more versatile and ultimately better value and once you have the heads you can build up pipes and connectors as and when. Get Jorgenson/Pony 3/4" if you can.

Back