Sash cramps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheptonphil

Scrumpy junkie
Reaction score
After following another thread on here I’m about to make some casement windows from kits. It’s all our club can afford, and they look really good bespoke made to measure. However, I need longer cramps and came across these on sale at the moment. I’ve picked up four of them from Screwfix, absolute bargain. Then went back and picked up two 900mm ones. The 1200mm actually clamp up to 1190, unlike my Axminster ones which max at 1100. ( I needed 1170 for this job).

Certainly a decent enough quality at the price with all steel and cast iron construction.

Last edited:
Undeniably a good price for a 4 ft clamp, I've not heard great things about magnusson as a brand, but as ever it as a question of money vs money out. Be interested to read how you get on with them

Ive got some of these exact clamps. They’re fine. I bought 4 in total. 3 work smoothly and the 4th - the screw thread doesn’t seem to be seated correctly and it’s a bit stiff to turn.
I didn’t notice much flex in the clamps even at full extension when clamping.
For the money they’re fine.

Ive got some of these exact clamps. They’re fine. I bought 4 in total. 3 work smoothly and the 4th - the screw thread doesn’t seem to be seated correctly and it’s a bit stiff to turn.
I didn’t notice much flex in the clamps even at full extension when clamping.
For the money they’re fine.
that is pretty much what I expected, good value if they work properly, but not of a reliable quality, a 25% failure rate seems quite high to me. As with any budget tool I think the key factors are how much use are you going to give it, how much (inconvenience, time and money) will in cost you to return it

If they just work to cramp up the four windows I’ve to make up, that’ll do me.
the cost of ready made windows was double the cost so had to go this route. If they are not up to the job, Screwfix will have them back no questions.

I've just got four x 4' - I've been meaning to get some for ages. They seem fine, all threads are free and easy. (A bit of work with fine valve grinding paste works wonders if they're sticky.) I can't see anything inferior in any way to many others, and there's less slop in them than any of my old Records - they don't bind at all when they're done up.
I shall look for some tapered pins for them, but I've been meaning to do that for a couple of the Records anyway. Good value and I'm quite happy wit them.

Back