Sash clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelly111s

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got about 8 Record sash clamps (44") and I'm after some new ones. Any recommendations for either which make, or where from? I've heard good things about Piher, but know nothing about them. One of the uses of these will be clamping up small table bases, the other main use will be for clamping up hardwood in strips to make kitchen worktops/breakfast bars. So, I'll want 4ft / 5ft ones. I'm not specifically looking for the cheapest, good quality is more important to me.

I find the Bessey parallel jaw clamps one of the best. Axminster do their own version which are almost identical to the Bessey ones and they take the Bessey extenders ( that is joining two clamps to double the length available) as well. The only difference ( apart from the price ) is the Axminster ones have an articulating handle to give even more force in clamping than the Bessey ones.
I have a few of both makes, some shorter Bessey's and some 1.5M Axminster. These can be connected for up to 3M ( 10ft) clamping.
Nigel

@Astrobits @pcb1962 Thanks both for the replies.
Do you have any experience of parallel jaw vs sash clamps in terms of clamping force? What would they be like glueing up 10 strips of 75mm wide hardwood?

@Astrobits @pcb1962 Thanks both for the replies.
Do you have any experience of parallel jaw vs sash clamps in terms of clamping force? What would they be like glueing up 10 strips of 75mm wide hardwood?
Haven't used my sash clamps much since I got the parallel clamps, which have more than enough clamping force for anything I've needed. I find I don't want too much force when glueing up strips or the whole lot tends to bow upwards in the middle and then I have to use cauls. I'd also probably do my 10 strips as 2 lots of 5 as the glue would be dry by the time I got to the 10th, but then I tend to use titebond 3 which goes off rather quickly.

Thanks. I'd probably do it in two halves, too since each half will the go through the planer (if needed), leaving only one joint line to hand plane if necessary.

@Astrobits Nigel, Do you mean the KRE/REVO or Uniklamp Bessey ones. I've looked at their website and I'm a tad confused! The Uniklamp seem cheaper than either Axminster or Rutlands.

I scooped up a few of both types of Bessey's when they were (and still occasionally do) doing discounted bundles...buy 4 REVO'S and get 4 uni's free sort of thing. I find the uni's handier and easier to use for anything needing more clamping than a fistfull of speed clamps but the force exerted by them is dwarfed by what the Revo's can apply...only thing is they’re a bit unwieldy unless you have lots of room and can leave them where you use them while the glue sets. Trying to move 4 or more large revo's along with whatever their clamped on is not for the faint hearted ;) Oh, and I think you'll find the Rutland and Axi clamps the others mentioned are direct equivalents to Bessey's Revo...not the uniclamp which is considerably lighter.

the uniklamps have been good from my experience, they were on offer this time last year, I have 4 of the 1000mmm ones and they've proven their worth, I certainly prefer them to the cheap aluminium type of clamps, rutlands also offer some proper sash cramps, I have 6 of them but an older version which have blue heads and they're excellent made from steel, very heavy duty, the newest version looks even better.

I am only an amateur wood waster, but I bought some of the steel ones from toolstation (not the aluminium ones that I didn't like the look of). They've worked fine for my humble needs

I don't think you can really beat the Record T-Bar Clamps, nigh-on indestructible.
The ones I currently have are the T-Bar ones (Model L136) and they're old. But work like new. They'll outlast me!

As for Rutlands / Axi/ Bessey and sash clamps I can get

Rutlands - Parallel Jaw Clamps - 1200mm x 95mm - Pack of 4 for £120
Axi - Axminster Trade Clamps HD Parallel Jaw Clamp Pivot 1,000 x 95mm - £171
Bessey - KRE100 KR-BODY Clamp 1000mm Pack Of 4 Plus 2 X Uk60 Uniklamp for £217

IRWIN® Record® 136/5 T Bar Clamp - 1050mm (42in) Capacity (Pack Of 4) - £259.95

So, I'm now completely stumped. I think since I already have some T-bar ones, I'll try the parallel jaw ones. But I need to procrastinate a bit more.

Last edited:
I have the KRevo's. The Rutland ones appear to be identical but I don't have any experience with those and I am sure that there are others probably from the same source. I like the Axminster HD ones for the modification to the handle which provides extra force if and when needed. I bought mine before the Uniklamps were available and might well have opted for those at the time but again I have no experience with them. As mentioned by Terrytpot these beasts are heavy. I just weighed one of my 1500mm ones at 4.5Kg. A few of those and some wood and it is staying in place until the glue is set.
If you are doing a lot of panel work why not go for dedicated panel clamps which will hold the layup flat as well as clamping them.
This is a pic of the Axminster handle in max force mode:
Nigel Wakefield

Attachments

• IMG_20201101_095236.jpg
    IMG_20201101_095236.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 9
Wowee! A couple of years ago I bought a bunch of them off Zoro for £38 (inc VAT) a clamp, 6 worked out to be £230!
You can get the "normal" Record sash clamps (not T bar) for £130 for 4off, 54" ones. The T bar ones are a lot more expensive.

You can get the "normal" Record sash clamps (not T bar) for £130 for 4off, 54" ones. The T bar ones are a lot more expensive.

Those were the T-Bar variant, here's the blurb from the invoice from late 2018:

eQS6t2C.png

Of course, the price of practically everything tool-related has gone up 20% in the last year or so.

I've decided to get the Bessey ones in, with the Uniklamp "freebies". I've also had a quote of £59.58 ex-VAT for the 78" Record T-bar, which look tempting, too. Can't have enough clamps.

Thanks for all your help guys.

So in a moment of madness, last week I bought 4 Bessey 1000mm Revo KR for a tad under £200. Imagine how pleased I was when four boxes containing 2 each arrived. I was like a dog with two cramps!! From FFX via EBay. I used them on Saturday and they are heads and shoulders above anything else I already have.

Back