Sash bay window restoration/half replacement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradshaw Joinery

Established Member
Reaction score
Been on a job recently where the property owner had his windows made by another firm, and needed them fitting, I wouldn't normally do this work, as it almost always leads to there being complications, problems or things wrong, but as it was my new neighbour, I helped out.

This is one of two big bay windows I have been dreading doing, it's always a bad sign when there is some form of starting board on the outside of a window..... So Wednesday afternoon I stripped back the paint and had a good look at the road ahead.,

2z7iia1.jpg

mt5vcz.jpg

Started chopping away

2lats05.jpg

I didn't take any mitre pics during assembly, I was a bit rushed wi weather... I ended up hanging onto the pop up gazebo I was working under for 5 minutes during a freak storm..

Picture of it rebuilt

2w3wajt.jpg

rt1dz6.jpg

2ynphk2.jpg

The decorator put a quick coat of primer on to protect from the weather, it covers incredibly well, and he had it tinted to the final coat colour also... I think he said it was omex primer.

9jkk10.jpg

bfquci.jpg

I will get a overall photo once the whole window has been painted.

Thanks

Very neatly done, given the faffing around matching existing profiles and cutting out the old to form a tight joints I suspect it would have been almost as easy to make a new complete assembly.

I like that a lot! A very tidy repair, presumably costing a lot less than replacement would have done, giving many more years of use.

Thats a good looking rerpair. It may spur on others who question repairs to windows....but then you have doen a very tidy job and know how to do it well. Best wishes.

Thanks For the kind word chaps!

the timber i used was sapele, similar to meranti on camera, but a little more durable, the priming was done by the decorator!

CHJ/ phil p- Making a new one would have been as easy in terms of technical ability required, however, when you factor in the cost of all the materials, fittings, the fancy detail around the roof, leadwork, and the disruption of removal/refitting, i think the repair still stands to be the best option, probably 1/4 of the cost, plus the owner had already had the sashes made and glass on site.

thanks Andy T

No Skills- It took 3.5 days, but they were good long days, and i am literally 1/5 a mile away so realistically, a bit further afield and sensible days. it would be 4days.

thanks two thumbs, if this was a single sash window, and was wrotten to this extent i would have replaced, however given the o/a detail and cost involved in replacing these, repair was far more economical. the best way to approch it is chop everything that has any rot out, then to look at each piece at a time and get each section fitted well. The multimaster is an invaluable tool also!

Good work there B J. I was always taught to cut the splice at an angle, I believe to allow any water to drain out when (and if) the joint fails. Tell me, which is considered best?

If wrong dont come first it dont get a chance.

Hi dericlen, correct yes, the joints were cut at an angle, from inside to out, to shed water away. i used a reference piece of wood the same width cut at the angle to guide the saw in.

You can just make it out from some of the photos, but not easily.

Excellent repair job there you were obviously paying attention on "scarfing day"
English Heritage would be pleased with that!
Regards Rodders

Great job! How do you normally tackle these? Draw up the required profiles then return to the workshop to machine them or do you produce the profiles on site with hand/ power tools?

Hi andy,

I always remove each section to a good point then use the piece i have removed as the template, as the fresh cut end is obviously good. If its completely rotten, its a case of measuring as accuratley as possible before removing, but they never match up as good as copying a sample.

Its ususally a case of boarding up the window overnight, unless its a small job. Using a multicutter saw makes splicing very easy, and wouldnt be without it. No need for expensive epoxy resins....

I do all the mouldings at the workshop, unless its a simple section you can prep beforehand. Justhave to be patient and remove everything and remake to replace, then fit each piece in correctly to reference the next.

Ha ha. This is exactly what I do all day as well and my name is Ollie too. I am mainly working in Oxfordshire and Wiltshire. I will have to dig out some photos too.

Perhaps we could have a worst bodge discovered on a sash window contest.

Nice work.

Ollie

Haha coincidence!

I dont often repair sashes now, my work has moved more to the workshop, this was a bit of a freak job for a neighbour, but quite enjoyed the satisfaction of doing it.

Gets some pictures up ollie!

Back