sash bar help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rog

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys I am making a replacement window for a friend. The original has very thin sash bar. I have seen the sash bar set (CMT) in axminster but its expensive and the profile is too thick on the moulded side..

Any Ideas on other cutters, techniques for making the bar? How do I cut the negitave profile in the end of the bars joining the main centre bar. Is it a case of trying to scribe it in with a round chisel or something?

any help would be appreciated..

rog

Rog,

Sounds like a sash plane might be in order? They're pretty easily found, so that shouldn't be a problem. If you decide to go down that route, I suggest you repost in the hand tools forum, simply because there are members on there who don't venture on here at all but would have ideas for links and resources of how to go about it. A picture or drawing and size of the profile you need would help, if you have the means to do it.

Cheers, Alf

Hmm, that's odd; working from my end. Unless Charley's pulled the plug on my webspace... 8-[ Not sure they're in the right order, but try here instead.

Cheers, Alf

Strange that...Cornish Workshop is fine. In your thread I just see a blank space and not even any placeholders for the image. Started to think it might have been Firefox upgrade but checked another thread and that was OK

Roger

cheers roger.. i will do some more digging and let you know. I maybe able to work out how to post a photo on here so you can see what i am trying to copy.. well whats left of it.

rog

Fine here too - it must be all you fault, Roger :p :lol:

You're not using one of those funny mac things, are you?? :lol:

Neil

No I'm using one of those virus-riddled PCs. Just tried IE...same situation...can see other pictures but not Alfs in that thread. I don't think my Alf-filter is enabled. Bizarre. Ah well...one of life's little problems. :wink:

OK - couldn't let it rest could I :oops:

Thought it might have been the latest Java upgrade as that was the most recent change to the laptop. So did a System restore but no difference. So IU then disabled all my anti-wotsits and lo and behold ...pictures appeared.

By a process of elimination it is my Zone Alarm Pro firewall.

I'm using version 6.1.737.000
Truevector security engine version 6.1.737.000
driver version 6.1.737.000
anti-spyware engine 4.1.7.0 DAT file version 01.200512.197

I tried disabling all the fringe activities like anti-spyware but no cigar.

So - if anyone else is using this version I'd be grateful if they can confirm whether or not they can see the images.

Mod...maybe move this to a new thread in Off-Topic ?

EDIT: OK - for some reason the coding that comes down with these images is treated as a banner ad as far as ZA is concerned and as the block banner ads option was set...these images were blocked.

Roger, you appear to be speaking in tongues, but as long as you're happy now... :lol: On the whole you might find it preferable to have your Alf-filter functioning, but it's your call. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Rog , Ive given up on trying to cut the negative profile with a router . For 1 its far to fiddly and 2nd i cant find the right cutters . I use 2 methods , the one you mentioned with the curved chisel although a carving chisel is better i find . Or i mitre both profiles at the mortice and tenon joint . You need to be spot on with your mitres on the second method as you can get nasty gaps if your a little out . :shock:

Back