SARS Virus in the workshop!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Heres a good one!

I have an old guy working for me partime. In a weeks time he and his wife and two friends are going on a two week holiday to China, flying into Bejuing.

What do I do.? Do I ask him not to come in for a couple of weeks afterwards? or say nothing and try to stay out of his way on his return(a bit difficault in a workshop enviroment!) He works for me on self employed basis by the way.

Serious replies wanted, not suggesting that I have to wear a face mask for two weeks!!!

Regards

Maybe ask your GP for advice would be a start. He might refer you to another source of info.

Does anyone know what the incubation period for SARS is? It would seem to me to be a wise precaution to not have him in your workshop until you can be sure of being safe. It's a small risk but why take it if you don't need to?

China seems like a strange place to go for a holiday, even without the health risks.
John

John,

Its about 2 weeks I think. Its a money thing. If they cancel they are going to lose hundreds of pounds. My view would be "what price health" but then easy for me to say! Apparently in China at the moment they are all wearing thick coats and woolly hats! Lovely.

James,
No, I havent spoken cos I'm leaving it till the last minute ie Tuesday.
He's super sensitive. I've a feeling he's going to take it a bit personally and I don't want to lose him. At the end of the day, as John says, I don't really want to take the risk of catching this thing. So, he's going to have an extended holiday I think!

Thanks for the replies so far

If you would like a serious answer Matstro then here you go.

Beijing does not have the SARS epidemic and the main problem lies in the South Guangzhou region, Beijing is as close to that area as we are to Turkey. So I wouldn’t worry too much and to be honest it the UK government have a problem with it they will stop him at customs.

Honestly don’t panic, there is a risk but I think we have to look at it realistically.

stevezm":16mjxj9t said:
Beijing does not have the SARS epidemic and the main problem lies in the South Guangzhou region,

Much as I hate to contradict a fellow woodworker, I would suggest that this page from the FT (standard reading for woodworkers, of course) be checked out.
http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServe ... 2571727085

If Matstro does ask chummy to stay away for a couple of weeks, presumably chummy does have other work he can do? It does say earlier that he is self employed

John

As you say, yes he's self employed but for tax reasons. He has other work but I do know he relies quite heavily on his income from me.

I think I'll sound him out on Tuesday. Its a bit of a dilemma that alot of other people have to face I suppose. In our local paper, theres a woman just come back who has been barred from canvassing in the local elections. She's painted a big black cross on her front door as a joke!

I stand Corrected John

But suppose it all relative. I lived in China on and off over the past 9 years and I follow the press avidly for news of SARS. I think the UK press slightly over exaggerate the problem. After all they have no war to report on now.

FT Quote “Up until Sunday, officials had reported only 37 infections and 4 dead in the city of 14 million. More people die of Pneumonia in London during a winter.

This Hardly constitutes an epidemic but you never can be too careful. Like I say if the guy is in danger he will be advised by his travel carrier.

In addition Beijing has just upped that figure to 300 infected, today. It wouldn’t stop me from going to China from the feed back I have from friends there.

Back