sapele substitute

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frosties

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a british timber with tight grain like sepelle. I'm planning to mill a very detailed cnc sculpture and wod tests with cherry and marine ply makes the contours too busy and distracts from the 3d form. I would like a more sustainable uk grown option but have a feeling theres nothing that will work as well as sepelle. Will post images now

lime laminate on sapele and cherry and lime plywood. I like the sapelle and lime best as the other is too busy. Any ideas of a sustainable allternative

Attachments

• DSC_0099.jpg
    DSC_0099.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC_0097.jpg
    DSC_0097.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 191
lacewood is an option. My local supplier has some but its not quite dry enough and its all quarter sawn and very figured. I will have another look around for some plainer stock. Thanks

Unsteamed Beech would not have too much of a contrast with the lime. Or Steamed Beech if you want a bit more contrast. Sycamore is another option

J

Not sure which bit of Scotland you are flying/have flown to, but if it's Aberdeen, then it might be worth trying Colin Cooper (Aberdeenshire hardwoods) in Mintlaw. He has an excellent selection of stuff. Scottish Hardwoods near Banff has now closed, but still had some stock a few weeks back that he can sell. Or Lethenty Mill, outside Inverurie, though he doesn't carry much spare stock.

Latest posts

Back