Santas Coming!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadders75

Established Member
Reaction score
And he should be bringing me a nice shiny Router table to keep me quiet over Christmas. :D

All i need to do is inform SHMBO of which one i want. So whats the opinion of the experienced woodworkers out there?

I've got a budget of about £150, so what would be my best bet? should i go for a table and router combo like the Ryobi 1150V or should i go for something like the Triton Router table or the Trend Craftsman?

I've already have a 1/2" T Tech router from B&Q that i can mount in a table,and if thats in the table then i'll have to buy another router for trimming :D .

Thanks

Richie.

as much as a fan of Triton I am, i'd suggest you build one. A La Norm if you like. If you want to ask for a present then either a router raiser or a Triton Router.

IMHO

I would probably recommend building one too if that's your budget. It can be really simple:
1. Get a slab of kitchen worktop (off cut from B&Q <£10) - check it's flat. 36"x24" is a good size to get you started.
2. Mark the base of your router on the underside of the worktop. And rout out a 1/2" or more recess for your router base.
3. Attach the base to the worktop with machine screws into the holes on your base.
4. Buy and attach a NVR switch (£25).
Now either build a stand to hold the table, or use it on a black and decker workmate.
5. Make a simple fence - two 6" pieces of 18mm MDF glued at right angle to each other.
Optional (but recommended):
6. Attach a fine height adjuster (if there isn't one on the router already) - £10 (from Trend) for a Dewalt 625 style router.
7. Get something like the Xtreme Xtension - an extender with quick release. It's about £50 but it's money well spent. Makes changing router bits so simple.
If you can spare the router this makes a great router table - no worrying about fitting a table insert and getting it level. And you can have it as big or small as you like. And if you go the B&D router, you can put it out the way when you don't need it.
Cheers
Gidon

Thanks for the advice, as it happens i had a look in the free adds in the local rag tonight, and their lo and behold was a brand new Trend SRT.

The chap had brought it about six months ago, put it together and then decided that it wasn't for him.

So for the princely sum of £40 it's now mine! 8)

I know it's a bit on the small side but all the bits are removable and i should be able to use them on a home made table, as Gideon said a NVR switch is £25 on it's own.

I feel quite chuffed, and i've just told the wife that she's got to buy me a L-N No.7 jointer instead, to which shes just agreed. :shock:

I haven't told her the price yet. :D

cadders75":zueptczg said:
I feel quite chuffed, and i've just told the wife that she's got to buy me a L-N No.7 jointer instead, to which shes just agreed. :shock:

I am, as is well known, a dedicated fan of both LN and LV planes with a slight preference for LN in bench planes (I have ahem, a 'few' of each but more LN than LV). However, I would urge you to buy the LV BU jointer - see here
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7187&highlight=

Tony":27bk4z5z said:
cadders75":27bk4z5z said:

I am, as is well known, a dedicated fan of both LN and LV planes with a slight preference for LN in bench planes (I have ahem, a 'few' of each but more LN than LV). However, I would urge you to buy the LV BU jointer - see here
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7187&highlight=

I've the LN#7 and I love it. Although not a direct comparison, I've also got the LA Jack (which is bevel up). I reach for the #7 99% of the time. Not only that but you can shoot with it as well.

Given its bedded at 45 degrees, wheras the Veritas is 12 degrees and you say you use 38 degrees the most - that means you are jointing at York pitch?

If you are only buying one, I'd say one you can shoot with, as well as joint is well worthwhile. I have to admit to doing most of my "smoothing" with a LN#7 as well.

Just an opposite thought.

Adam

Judder":i46qgo5u said:
Santa ? that bu88er ?

he still owes me a Stretch Armstrong from 1975 !.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember the day they got banned at my school. A row was settled between two of my pals when one administered a Stretch Armstrong in a full golf swing to his oppo's nether region. :shock: :shock:

Don't worry though, Stretch was fine!

Cheers

Tim

waterhead37":5u8jglvv said:
Here I was thinking you were talking about an Armstrong Siddeley limo! Just showing my age I guess :cry:
It's not age, Chris; I assumed it was a car too. Must just be ageless ignorance. :oops: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Some Australian guys are starting to add an aliminum sheet over the top of the Triton table to create a truer surface. The bit aperture protrudes above the table on mine and you can snag against it.

Back