Sanity!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't the first time actually that the HSE has complained about council jobsworths 'gold plating' their efforts.
Any complaint to the particular council results in their stating 'it's health and safety,' in other words, buck passing.

Roy.

I wonder how long it will be before health and safety starts causing more accidents than it prevents.

It's funny as most of this H&S stuff seems to happen to prevent the claim it society we inherited from Americans but when you go to america you see their lack of general safety especially with table saws etc and you think they could do with a bit more H&S.

Went onto a 'Tarmac' site recently to do a repair on one of our site units, two faults - a small water leak and a broken toilet seat. After talking with the site foreman (skin ?) it was apparent that I couldnt fix the leak as the unit was being fed water from a pumped bowser and there was a fault with it, ok then I'll just replace the toilet seat and come back another day to do the leak... no... could I come back and do both repairs when the bowsers been done so the risk assessment/site visit paperwork is easier to fill out!!!!!

If you had overheard the conversation about a lorry getting a puncture on site (and the H&S enquiry about to happen because of it) that was going on while I were waiting there you would of either laughed yourself sick or sunk into deep depression about the state of the country.

I'd imagine the risk assessment was HSE - the puncture investigation was pineapple madness dressed up in Tarmac H&S gift wrap. Wish I'd had a tape recorder at the time!

Just a thought for all those whinging about 'elf-n-safety.

Many years ago I worked for a large company which had several major construction projects in progress. One of these involved a very heavy door (40 tons to be precise) which was delivered flat, and had to be hoisted vertical in order to install it. The usual procedure was for the company's staff to inspect the installation contractor's lifting gear the day before the job (it's the company's site, and they are legally responsible for everything that happens on it, so it's not sticking nose in where not warranted). This they did, and asked for a nylon strop to be replaced. The contractor thought better. The following day, the job was under way when said strop parted. The door fell, trapping one man under it.

Would you have liked to be the person explaining the circumstances to that man's widow?

It's true that some jobsworths take things to stupid extremes, but for anybody familiar with industrial working conditions in the '70s and before, some decent H&S was long overdue. Fatalities and serious injuries were just too common. A family friend who worked as a nurse told me that every nurse she knew in the local steelworks desperately wanted out. The injuries could be truly horrific.

The HSE have done sterling work in industry without a doubt, regretably it's the jobsworths using them as an excuse for their own bright ideas that has helped damage the HSE's rep. Hence the HSE are not unreasonably peed off.

Roy.

The place I currently work in is pretty much stuck in the lack of H&S era, how its escaped HSE I honestly dont know. I fully understand the benifits of a safely run workplace and I certainly dont moan about it, however its gone completely mad - far beyond what it was ever invented for.

Digit":2zizuxje said:
The HSE have done sterling work in industry without a doubt, regretably it's the jobsworths using them as an excuse for their own bright ideas that has helped damage the HSE's rep. Hence the HSE are not unreasonably peed off.

Roy.

They have a tolerably amusing set of H&S myths on their website, and used to do a calendar.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/top10myths.htm

BugBear

theartfulbodger":2ccztfz8 said:
health and safety?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7cd_1316272647

scary stuff!! :shock: :shock:

probably been posted before but worth a watch if you have a head for heights!

'Scary' doesn't come close to describing that!! At work I regularly have to climb 130 feet, but I'm hooked on every inch of the way. The thought of 'free climbing' is a total non starter. I wouldn't do that climb for all the tea in China!!

Roy

I've never really comprehended the fear of heights, an awkward landing from 5 mtrs can kill you, 50 mtrs is no more fatal.
Anyway, falling kills no one, it's the bit at the bottom that does the damage! :lol:

Roy.

Latest posts

Back