Sanity check please : razee jack to scrub plane WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Chapman":ym1osb3y said:
Jacob":ym1osb3y said:
If you work a wooden rebate plane quite hard (or scrub plane as I've discovered) you get vibration (the zip referred to above) and chatter shows as fine lines evenly spaced.

Doesn't just apply to wooden rebate planes or scrubs or whether you're working the plane hard. It can apply to any plane where the seating between the blade and frog isn't good or where the blade isn't held firmly.

Cheers :wink:

Paul
Except you can't work a wide plan with chatter - it's doing something like stalling.

Deneb Puchalski in the video Paul Chapman linked to has a 'throwaway' line that his toothed blade -- the subject of the video -- is in large part for dealing with the tearout from the scrub plane. And the board he was working on most definitely had chatter marks - too regular for just tearout.

Fascinating discussion, said he who leaps for a power tool far too often!

E.

Jacob":1qw7vqnu said:
Paul Chapman":1qw7vqnu said:
....Blimey, Jacob, what are you on about now...
something you don't understand and have not experienced, obviously
....., which sets up vibration, which is generally referred to as chatter.
That's it you've got it. If you work a wooden rebate plane quite hard (or scrub plane as I've discovered) you get vibration (the zip referred to above) and chatter shows as fine lines evenly spaced.
Bin there dunnit - and looked closely at it so I do know what I'm talking about.
If I could find the thread you could see the photos.

Here's the thread about chatter - I can't see any photos. But you may note I didn't find Jacob's assertions to be unambiguously supported by his proposed "evidence".

shoulder-plane-t45694.html?hilit=chatter

BugBear

Jacob":1s65ebi5 said:
I bought the ECE scrubber
They seem to be better known in Europe and America where there is a bigger tradition of back to the woods type woodwork, log cabins etc. They'd be ideal for trimming logs to make them fit better, as an alternative to gouge, axe, adze etc

But I expect the Americans in general would avoid that complexity nowadays and reach for the baby chainsaw and belt sander!

Back