sandwich board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
made an A board for a decorator friend of mine. as I'll probably never make another ill "show my workings"
After searching on pinterest I found a design I liked. it was for Sally lunns restaurant in Bath. I was quite concerned with it rotting as its outside most of the time so I chose a selection of random red hardwoods from my stock. also I didn't want the bottom rail to have any upward facing grooves. the actual signboard itself I could have used quality ply. I knew he was going to have a vinyl self adhesive sign made so instead I used 10mm hollow shower panel as it was waterproof and lightweight( and I had some leftover remember this was a favour!)

Attachments

• 20220517_142015.jpg
    20220517_142015.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220517_142024.jpg
    20220517_142024.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220517_142041.jpg
    20220517_142041.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 0
I then began sizing my stock and jointing. I always use my leigh fmt for this size of work as it's really accurate and quick leaving almost imperceptible steps to sand off. I then made the templates for the shapes. marking and cutting them. I prefer pu glue for leigh m and ts as they can be nice and tight and pu glue is waterproof and slippy allowing these joints to close easy.
then I sanded flat and routed a small rebate around the top and 2 sides(remember no grooves on the bottom rail)such that the shower panel was a smidgeon proud( 1/2 mm or less)
next I made some moulding on the spindle to trap the board. I was going to nail it with stainless nails along the top and sides but decided to use weatherproof screws to make the board easier to access. I primed the rebate and front face and also the moulding and did the final assembly.
the rest is upto the decorator. I'll try and get a finished photo as well.
overall I'm happy with the result and may make one for myself. my original vision was one having a hand painted sign and like a very glossy dark colour so I would use birch ply and gras a lacquer(brushing putty) on the mouldings with owatrol in the paint.

one more thing is I found a strip of 10mm ally channel that fitted along the bottom of the board about 15mm above the bottom rail also drilled along the bottom to allow the water out

Latest posts

Back