sandwich board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
made an A board for a decorator friend of mine. as I'll probably never make another ill "show my workings"
After searching on pinterest I found a design I liked. it was for Sally lunns restaurant in Bath. I was quite concerned with it rotting as its outside most of the time so I chose a selection of random red hardwoods from my stock. also I didn't want the bottom rail to have any upward facing grooves. the actual signboard itself I could have used quality ply. I knew he was going to have a vinyl self adhesive sign made so instead I used 10mm hollow shower panel as it was waterproof and lightweight( and I had some leftover remember this was a favour!)

Attachments

• 20220517_142015.jpg
    20220517_142015.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220517_142024.jpg
    20220517_142024.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220517_142041.jpg
    20220517_142041.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 0

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
I then began sizing my stock and jointing. I always use my leigh fmt for this size of work as it's really accurate and quick leaving almost imperceptible steps to sand off. I then made the templates for the shapes. marking and cutting them. I prefer pu glue for leigh m and ts as they can be nice and tight and pu glue is waterproof and slippy allowing these joints to close easy.
then I sanded flat and routed a small rebate around the top and 2 sides(remember no grooves on the bottom rail)such that the shower panel was a smidgeon proud( 1/2 mm or less)
next I made some moulding on the spindle to trap the board. I was going to nail it with stainless nails along the top and sides but decided to use weatherproof screws to make the board easier to access. I primed the rebate and front face and also the moulding and did the final assembly.
the rest is upto the decorator. I'll try and get a finished photo as well.
overall I'm happy with the result and may make one for myself. my original vision was one having a hand painted sign and like a very glossy dark colour so I would use birch ply and gras a lacquer(brushing putty) on the mouldings with owatrol in the paint.

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
one more thing is I found a strip of 10mm ally channel that fitted along the bottom of the board about 15mm above the bottom rail also drilled along the bottom to allow the water out