Sandpaper Holder - for hand sanding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonJohnson

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I had to sand 16 24-inch long strips of 1 inch by 1/4 inch mahogany for a rotating bookshelf I am making, and I used two sandpaper holders that I purchased some time ago from either Lidl or Aldi. They made the task so straightforward that I was prompted to repeat a review - that I had previously posted elsewhere - here on UKWorkshop.

208969.jpg

208970-196x130.jpg

Besides food, etc., both Lidl and Aldi usually offer a variety of DIY products, but none could be called ‘top-of-the-range’ in terms of quality – however some are useful to general handymen. I get notifications of weekly bargains from these companies, and one of them included the above picture, and a price tag of £3.99! At this price it was worth the risk to buy a couple to try them out, since if they were useless it would not be a big loss! However, they are superb!

I hate hand-sanding! My tender skin gets roughened and I get little cracks around my nails which are painful out of all proportion to their tiny size, so I try to remember to wear a glove, but usually take it off at least once in a session, and then the damage is done!
With these little beauties, my delicate pinkies are safe, and the handles are extremely comfortable and of an ergonomic design that makes sanding a pleasure! I now look forward to it (well, almost!)

I dashed back to Lidl on the following day to get a couple more, but they were all gone – b——r!

Still, I have two – loaded with the two most used grit sizes - and the paper holding clamps have not slipped despite some quite hard use. The flat surface has a firm rubber layer that makes keeping sanding ‘square’ easy, whilst accommodating sanding curves.
I’m very happy with the product, and am looking out for more.

Although the brand is Powerix, I was unable to find them on the 'net, so perhaps they are made especially for Lidl/Aldi, but, if these items come up again at one of their shops, I can recommend them very strongly.

One other reason for publishing this review is that although the holders may not be freely available, the design is much more comfortable to use than any others I have tried – the handles removing the strain caused by holding blocks – so anyone considering making their own might consider using similar handles attached in the same manner.

As long as they as they have longevity, with the price of £3.99 is not a lot to ask you did not state size of the block/pad quarter or half sheet. Seems like a good handy bit of kit if you are without power tool variant as it seems to utilise the same clamping arrangement as many power tools for sand paper to be held.

I for one was never a tool snob if it works and is cheap great, I love a bargain like everyone else, the issue I have with tools is they can be cheap or expensive and they aint doing what they were sold to do or not have any longevity in work load conditions. But at £3.99 you may find it harder to get the wee devil again, Aldi and its twin seem to do this a lot, sell something with practicle ability and never sell it again.

I have something along those lines made from the working end of a duff shuffle sander. It certainly makes some sanding jobs easier. Same job. But my handle is not as pretty.

xy

I have something along those lines made from the working end of a duff shuffle sander. It certainly makes some sanding jobs easier. Same job. But my handle is not as pretty.

xy

I've a couple I made from a hardwood blocks and put a sheet on self-adhesive Velcro on it so I can easily and quickly change grades or renew. I use mainly Rhynogrip Plus which sticks to my blocks really well, is sharp, open coated (a tap removes the dust) and, though it's expensive, it lasts for ages.

Latest posts

Back