Sanding thin pieces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh Wizard

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

just looking for some tips / advice on sanding thin items.

have tried using double sided sticky tape which I didn’t have much luck with - it didn’t really hold the piece and then was a nightmare to remove all the remnants!

grateful for any suggestions

Myles

Hi All,

just looking for some tips / advice on sanding thin items.

have tried using double sided sticky tape which I didn’t have much luck with - it didn’t really hold the piece and then was a nightmare to remove all the remnants!

grateful for any suggestions

Myles
Can't you just hold it down with one hand and keep moving it about?

It would be helpful to know a little bit more about the circumstances. How big are the pieces, method of sanding, what happens to them after sanding?
Brian

Without knowing what the thin pieces are... I sand thin pieces by clamping them down onto the bench with a rubber lined clamp at one end of the workpiece. Sand as much as you can, reverse the piece and sand the other end. In my aircraftery I frequently have tiny pieces to shape and sand. Sanding little bits brings your fingers in close proximity to the sandpaper and you tend to lose a bit of skin which is ok but the resultant blood stains are darned hard to get out of the wood. So I leave a 'tail' on small pieces, something like a sprue on a casting. This provides something to hold onto and on completion of sanding, cut the tail off and clean up the saw cut as best you can.

Masking tape on a large piece of plywood/mdf and some more on the thin piece, then a couple of drops of super glue to stick them together. With decent quality masking tape I've never had pieces come apart by accident, but the tape comes away cleanly without leaving residue.

Back