Sanding sealer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
I know it has been aired many times before but I cant find it.
What do I use to dilute Sanding sealer and what is the amounts.
Your help please, thank you

Thin cellulose sanding sealer with cellulose thinners and shellac SS with meths.

I've never used acrylic SS but my guess would be that you should use water.
Jon

If it is Cellulose sanding sealer then use Cellulose thinners such as this example
If Acrylic then use Water.
If Shellac then use Meths.

With cellulose I vary on dilution dependant upon task, between 20-50 %, The bigger the area and more absorbent (punky) I dilute more, giving more coats if necessary, I find I get less streaks and fewer build up problems with the easier spreading.

Jon & Chas., thanks for your help ,
Not sure what type it is,a friend asked me.
I'm afraid that I'm still grounded 12th Dec. is D Day.

Cellulose sealer is on my list. it's coming in this week. It's vital that you use the right stuff to thin it. make sure that you check before you staret

i notice that the chestnut thinners states it does NOT contain toluene and xylene. i have some cellulose thinners from an automotive supplier which DOES contain toluene. can this be used? is it just a health/ environMental thing? or is there a 'chemical' reason it can or cannot be used?
i have not had any reason to thin SS yet but it'd be nice to know if cellulose thinner is cellulose thinner is cellulose thinner?

boysie39":16zkl5ka said:
...a friend asked me.
Is it unkind to suggest that your friend reads the label on the bottle which would tell him?

Anyway, regarding our decision to omit toluene and xylene from our sealers and thinners, it's never 'just' a health/environment thing. both of these (especially the former) are pretty important to me!
Leaving these products out makes them safer to use (the only reason we still have to declare them as harmful is that it can be if you get it in your eye) - toluene and xylene are suspected carcinogenics and banned in some areas, it is indeed kinder to the enviroment, and whilst the product is still smelly it isn't quite as unpleasant as using toluene and xylene.

This might lead you to wonder why anyone would use them...they're cheap, simple as that really. Cheap thinners are often reclaimed and smell even worse, and quite honestly why anyone would risk ruining a piece of work they've spent hours making just to save 30 pence on a splash of thinners is beyond me.

Our thinners aren't cheap (there's dearer around though!) but they'll never let you down! Cellulose Thinner is not Cellulose Thinner is not Cellulose Thinner!

I would think the best answer there Nev is to ask Chestnut. They are very helpful and you will get a rock solid answer.

I got my celulose sanding sealer from Baileys Paint, Stroud when we were over there and that takes celulose thinners to diloute it, but if I put too much on, not totally sure of the mix, the 'french chaulk' or whatever it is tirns white when it dries. Not a problem because when I then put a coat of melamine lacqure on it everything goes clear again..

Edit : - Sorry Terry, posts crossed, but we got there in the end :mrgreen:

Terry Smart":12rr0nlp said:
boysie39":12rr0nlp said:
...a friend asked me.
Is it unkind to suggest that your friend reads the label on the bottle which would tell him?

thanks for the informed answer terry, but this is why i asked. when it says on the tin, to thin use cellulose thinners, and my other tin is labelled 'cellulose thinners', you'd think there 'd be no problems but confusingly as you have confirmed thinners is not thinners etc.

Terry Smart":12rr0nlp said:
and quite honestly why anyone would risk ruining a piece of work they've spent hours making just to save 30 pence on a splash of thinners is beyond me.

as said, i haven't found the need to thin yet and when i do i shall purchase the matching chestnut product (no complaints from me about chestnut products :) ) especially if its only 30p :shock: can i order a few tins please :wink:

Terry Smart":gnx1ge1f said:
boysie39":gnx1ge1f said:
...a friend asked me.

Anyway, regarding our decision to omit toluene and xylene from our sealers and thinners, it's never 'just' a health/environment thing. both of these (especially the former) are pretty important to me!
Leaving these products out makes them safer to use (the only reason we still have to declare them as harmful is that it can be if you get it in your eye) - toluene and xylene are suspected carcinogenics and banned in some areas, it is indeed kinder to the enviroment, and whilst the product is still smelly it isn't quite as unpleasant as using toluene and xylene.

This might lead you to wonder why anyone would use them...they're cheap, simple as that really. Cheap thinners are often reclaimed and smell even worse, and quite honestly why anyone would risk ruining a piece of work they've spent hours making just to save 30 pence on a splash of thinners is beyond me.

Our thinners aren't cheap (there's dearer around though!) but they'll never let you down! Cellulose Thinner is not Cellulose Thinner is not Cellulose Thinner!
Terry, there seems to be other Sanding Sealers on the market besides Chestnuts, I was unkind and asked my friend to check it. His S/S is a Liberon product and has no diluting directions on the container. Thank you for your imput just the same.

nev":2ufk4wax said:
when it says on the tin, to thin use cellulose thinners, and my other tin is labelled 'cellulose thinners', you'd think there 'd be no problems but confusingly as you have confirmed thinners is not thinners etc.

To a point, any Cellulose Thinners can be used, but the important thing is that they are of varying quality. It's always best to stick to the same brand.

nev":2ufk4wax said:
as said, i haven't found the need to thin yet and when i do i shall purchase the matching chestnut product (no complaints from me about chestnut products :) ) especially if its only 30p :shock: can i order a few tins please :wink:

That's 30p a splash; I reckon each 500ml tin has at least 25 splashes in it...;)

boysie39":2ufk4wax said:
...S/S is a Liberon product and has no diluting directions on the container..

That's remiss of them not to put that information on the label, although (and I need to check this) I'm not sure that we put that information on, although I'm sure we mention brush cleaning. The inference would be that this type of sanding sealer doesn't need thinning.

Back