Sanding sealer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve used chestnut shellac based sealer on ash then covered in fiddes finishing wax on cabinets and it gives a nice even satin and non-yellowing finish
5E4538A3-B9D6-47E8-BE47-0F53B5319F5A.jpeg
2A49E010-695F-476B-A200-BBA2C8F35207.jpeg

Aidan

Nice work Aidan, unusual dovetails, obviously you don’t like wasting your time ha ha, but then I suppose that was all that was needed to stop the fronts being pulled off the drawers, so yes, good out of the box or drawers thinking. Ian
Ps, Ash does yellow, what makes you think your finish will prevent it please, and how long ago did you make it and was it successful? I love ash but it is disappointing when it turns yellow, would love to prevent it.

Those pictures were taken a few weeks ago, that cabinet... 6-7 years ago maybe? I think with ash it’s the finish that goes a bit yellow and the natural yellow colour of the timber behind it accentuates it (he says, speculating wildly)
Aidan

I always thought it was the wood reacting to UV light, as most wood does, so I was hoping that you had managed to stop that with your finish. Ho-hum back to the drawing board, cheers Ian

I always thought it was the wood reacting to UV light, as most wood does, so I was hoping that you had managed to stop that with your finish. Ho-hum back to the drawing board, cheers Ian
You’re right the wood does react with UV light, the best finishes to prevent yellowing contain colourants that prevent the UV getting to the wood, I use Osmo raw oil on light woods it’s a milky colour when you open the tin due to these colourants.

Back