Sanding question pls.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

Can someone tell me if after sanding with a machine or by hand,prior to applying any kind of finish do you have a method for removing any residual dust that may have been left in the grain .

Hope that makes sense.

Dave.

Makes very good sense Dave. The subject may provoke debate and I don't think there is one 'right' way. I have said I try to avoid abrasives (treat them as last resort problem solver). They clog grain, so you must get the dust out before finishing. I use a brush - from a softish paint-brush to a brass suede brush (depending on what needs to be got out). I do think abrasives are there to defy you - they lure you into believing it's smooth. A sharp blade will always get you the best finish because the fibres are cut, and what's left is the honest wood surface... in my humble opinion. But I have to say also that I hate finishing - I find it boring and always go for the 'less is more' approach - plus I like wood to be honest, no finish at all would probably please me.

I have an old clothes brush which does a good job and then a tack cloth (when I can find it) but I use abrasives as little as possible anyway - I prefer to plane or use a scraper to final finish.

Another advantage of the Abranet pads often praised around here is that you don't get much embedded dust left in the grain at all, as you use them with a vac or extractor all the time. Any dust is immediately removed, through the open mesh.

AndyT":22iwo7tf said:
Another advantage of the Abranet pads often praised around here is that you don't get much embedded dust left in the grain at all, as you use them with a vac or extractor all the time. Any dust is immediately removed, through the open mesh.

+1
Abranet goes down to 1000 grit for an almost polished surface.
After sanding, if you have a vacuum cleaner with a small brush on the end then go over it with that and... wipe with your other hand as you go (wipe hand on something) you will be surprised, and do it more than a few times.

ive always had an old vacuum cleaner for after sanding duty, they used to make those long bristle attachments which i don't see much anymore, i realise this is a luxury but it's the best solution i've found, grain is clean and corners are clean.

Back