Sanding Plate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Morris

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I'd like to make a sanding plate to fit in my Jet 1220vs lathe and would like to ask your opinions in case i'm completely of bat or missed anything, which I regulary do.

The way I thought I'd go was to cut a 9" diameter circle in 1/2" BB ply. (swing over the bed says 305mm or 12")
Then cut a smaller square and glue it to the circle. (7.500" diagonal)
Then mount a 150mm faceplate 1" x 8tpi (ref T04M) from Axminster to it. (The Axminster site says these have a 1 week delay, would that be from today or when I ordered it, do you think?)

I'm not sure of the best way to attach the sandpaper, whether to 'double sided' sticky it, or Velcro it. Would Velcro allow an even surface to sand?
Is the 7.500" square overkill?

thanks for any thoughts.

Gary

Hello,

I have made mine from two pieces of 19 mm MDF bonded together with PUR adhesive. I sawed it roughly to shape, and then screwed to a 100 mm cast iron faceplate with 4,5*40 mm screws. Then I trued up the shape and face on the lathe. I use sanding cloth on it, I attach that with double sided adhesive: not so easy to change, but Velcro backing would result in a flexible sanding surface, not suitable for precise sanding of joint surfaces.

Have a nice day,

János

I use a spray on adhesive Photomount there is one that allows it to be pulled off and repositioned, but it is easy enough to just face off the surface when it is cream-crackered.

Regards
Peter

I Bought A box of 6 inch circle sticky backed grits from ebay placed a axminster faceplate on some timber then turned a 6 inch circle stuck the grit to the timber and just change them when they are naffed also got a variety of grits its useful and cheap bought 50 for a fiver ,

Regards
Bill

If you have a chuck with dovetail jaws you can mount the sanding disc to the chuck.
DSCN3783 (Large).JPG
DSCN3784 (Large).JPG
DSCN3785 (Large).JPG

Before I had a dedicated sander I made up 4 from 18mm scrap MCB and mounted the differing grits on them.

Attachments

• DSCN3783 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3783 (Large).JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 1,452
  • DSCN3784 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3784 (Large).JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,452
  • DSCN3785 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3785 (Large).JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,452
I made a disc with an old aluminium disc and just used sticky back sandpaper. Worked a treat. Make sure you get some decent extraction though cos it really chucks out the dust

I second the warning about Velcro. I used this method and bought el cheapo discs from Toolstation. When I tried to get square off some pen blanks , I never seemed to get either a uniformly flat face on the end grain or a face at right angles.

Now some of this is down to my rather crude jigs mounted in the toolrest , but I am suspicious that the Velcro will distort out of true. I note the Recrd dedicated disc grinders use a plain metal faced disk.

I had a suspicion that the Velcro may give an inaccurate finish, so I've gone without it, just waiting for the sandpaper, I ordered some from ebay.

Thanks
Gary

Gary Morris":5hi3gyzo said:
I had a suspicion that the Velcro may give an inaccurate finish, so I've gone without it, just waiting for the sandpaper, I ordered some from ebay.

Thanks
Gary
Never had a problem with Velcro backing, the speed of the disc and the light pressure applied if the grit is sharp, clean and cutting correctly has never given me any detectable problem.

Hi Craig, ye I was going to make some sort of level plate fixed to the bed, probably out of ply, haven't formulated a plan yet, just as long as it's the right height (guessing just below centre?) and level.
Thanks CHJ, I may do another one with a different grit, I just thought that with the two layers of Velcro it would act like a cushion, I'll try Velcro on the next one.

Afternoon Gary

Hi Craig, ye I was going to make some sort of level plate fixed to the bed, probably out of ply, haven't formulated a plan yet, just as long as it's the right height (guessing just below centre?)

I mounted a piece of scrap 19mm mdf on a spigot turned to fit in the toolrest banjo. Imagine a strange plasterer's hawk.

Edit. ... as shown in the fourth pic in Chas's link. I like the fence Chas.

Cheers

Dave

Gary, go back to the link in my first post to see an option held in the tool post banjo.

Thanks Dave and CHJ, sorry, it didn't register first time round, and looks ideal for what I'm after, also the oak chuck rings - never considered it - I'll do it that way for future plates, as I have a chuck and this way will do away with faceplates.

Gary

Back