Sanding Gloves and Safety

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Browsing the latest Woodturning I came across the advert for Sanding Gloves,wondering if they were made of frangible material and safe to use on a spinning lathe I came up with this image which rather disturbs me.
glove.jpg

I speak with the experience of having had both loose abrasives and abrasives held in split sticks etc. snatched out of my hands when they caught on an unseen fault or touched a wrong quadrant.

What do others think about the risk of a someone new to turning using them on a rotating piece.

Attachments

• glove.jpg
    glove.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 2,025
Im sure they could be used safely here and there but used constantly it would only be a matter of time till a finger got bent round the wrong way. Dont think they'll be on the xmas list.

In my opinion it looks like an accident waiting to happen, it only takes an unexpected splinter inside and you have more trouble than you can handle.

Great for hand sanding carved work but a definite no-no for any powered use.

Regards,

mikec

classic case of someone coming up with a solution to problem A (which is real) without realising that they are creating problem, or risk, B - which is worse.

as already discussed, the same thing applies in relation to a spinning chuck and the potential for wrapped knuckles - or a broken arm or worse....

Thanks for that link, but I'm afraid I see that warning as a typical cop out to try and avoid litigation.
As far as I can see it does not appear on any product placement advert or the product page linked above and it is promoted in a Turning magazine.

If it is not obvious to a casual reader is a novice going to find it, does anyone know through personal experience if the gloves come with that Warning ?

The Sanding Glove® can be utilized by almost anyone sanding anything:
•Woodworkers
•Woodcarvers
Woodturners
•Chair-makers
•Furniture refinishers
•Homeowners, for drywall repairs or painting preparation
•Boat-builders and restorers

A novice may well not realise that the item should not be used whilst machine is rotating under power.

Sandpaper and or fingers being snatched by rotating wood is surely one of the first lessons we learn by doing :oops: when we start turning?
so one would hope any prospective purchasers would know the unsuitability and dangers.

As for 'stating the bleedin obvious' warnings on items, i am afraid if, for example: you set the cruise control on your Winnebago then go in back and make a cuppa, expecting the vehicle to drive itself, then the gene pool could well do without you #-o :)

nev":34jpup7e said:
Sandpaper and or fingers being snatched by rotating wood is surely one of the first lessons we learn by doing :oops: when we start turning?
so one would hope any prospective purchasers would know the unsuitability and dangers.

Fair pint Nev,

But I think we have to think of others whose training in turning might be based on You Tube, and perhaps have had little or no tuition, Thru no fault of their ow.

, I think its safe to say only Turners really know potential dangers of turning.

Don't forget, its coming up to xmas, there will be l;lathes bought for sons, husbands etc, with the plan then to book that night class later on.

Loz

Latest posts

Back