Sanding drums

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've just purchased a SIP bobbin sander and am a bit shocked at the price of replacement sanding drums. Does anyone have any idea for a cheaper solution please? Is it possible to 'make your own' ie. wrap ordinary sandpaper around the bobbin or something.

Hope someone can help because this is a great machine, especially for getting into the small curves of my bandsaw boxes.

regards

Brian

brianhabby":30n46fk0 said:
Hi there,

I've just purchased a SIP bobbin sander and am a bit shocked at the price of replacement sanding drums. Does anyone have any idea for a cheaper solution please? Is it possible to 'make your own' ie. wrap ordinary sandpaper around the bobbin or something.

Hope someone can help because this is a great machine, especially for getting into the small curves of my bandsaw boxes.

regards

Brian
You probably mean sanding sleeves not drums. And prices go from about 2 quid here you go :lol: and here you go again :lol:

As jozs said, if you can replace with different then use them. There currently out of stock so you can have these instead http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... prod23275/

I have a set in the link (only cost me £30 though :O , tut tut axi that is a massive price rise) and there excellent. Someone recommended that I use old belt sanding belts to replace the paper as normal paper don't last long on these.

Please keep us posted on if you can replace with different drums as the sip is a machine I have been looking at for a while now. I have seen sleeves you just pop over the sip drums though.

If Brian does indeed mean drums, yes they are expensive. Carroll drums do not fit as the SIP needs the correct combination of a taper and a left hand thread.
If you want to make your own drums, Carroll will sell you the self adhesive dense foam sheet to fit under the paper.

Bob

Those Charnwood ones are a bit cheaper than I have seen and if they fit then that would be an improvement. But even at £2.00 each for the 19mm x 90mm they are still expensive. We are talking about less than 9 square inches of sandpaper! :(

I like the idea of the ones from Axi where you can use your own paper but I am really looking for something with more height. The ones on the SIP are 90mm and 140mm in height.

I also wonder if the bobbins or drums that the sandpaper sleeves go on are interchangeable between all these different makes of machine. The machines all look identical to me just with a different paint job. Also, is it possible to get a 19mm bobbin that is 140mm long and not 90mm as supplied? I suspect not.

Another thing - the SIP sleeves are advertised as Fine, Medium & Course. Those Charnwood ones are advertised as 80 grit. So is 80 grit medium of course, I wonder?

regards

Brian

brianhabby":2lintjw4 said:
Those Charnwood ones are a bit cheaper than I have seen and if they fit then that would be an improvement. But even at £2.00 each for the 19mm x 90mm they are still expensive. We are talking about less than 9 square inches of sandpaper! :(

I like the idea of the ones from Axi where you can use your own paper but I am really looking for something with more height. The ones on the SIP are 90mm and 140mm in height.

I also wonder if the bobbins or drums that the sandpaper sleeves go on are interchangeable between all these different makes of machine. The machines all look identical to me just with a different paint job. Also, is it possible to get a 19mm bobbin that is 140mm long and not 90mm as supplied? I suspect not.

Another thing - the SIP sleeves are advertised as Fine, Medium & Course. Those Charnwood ones are advertised as 80 grit. So is 80 grit medium of course, I wonder?

regards

Brian
You missed the assortment £ 8.60 for 3 38mm x 140mm
And the £ 8.00 for 3 80 grit 38mm x 140mm

I bought an unbranded bobbin sander which to all intents and purposes is the same as the majority of others available (in different colours!) which only came with three drums. I made up the set to six with the ones from Charnwood which seem to be the cheapest around. Tip I saw on one of the w/working shows on satellite TV, keep an old piece of garden hose to clean the abrasive, works as well as the 'belt cleaning blocks' sold for the purpose.

Tony Comber

That's the conclusion I was coming to Tony, thanks. I might just order one to double check that it fits.

I'm still determined to find cheaper consumables for this machine, which is brilliant by the way.

regards

Brian

Sometimewoodworker
You probably mean sanding sleeves not drums. And prices go from about 2 quid here you go :lol: and here you go again :lol:

That's very clever - not seen that before? :)

Rod

Back