Sanding discs flying off orbital sander!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polly1313

Established Member
Reaction score
Is this in any way avoidable?

Is it because the velcro/hook and loop mounting disc on the sander itself needs replacing?

Can anyone recommend a model where this is less of a problem? It's driving me nuts!

Sanding pads eventually wear out and you need to replace the base which usually costs around £25 depending on manufacturer, to mitigate the problem you can buy "pad protectors" which are just an extra layer of disposable hook and loop which you can peel off and chuck once it wears out.

I use only one grade(60 or 80) of sandpaper for finish edges.
I apply hot glue on screws and attach sandpaper disc.
orbital-sander-with-hook-and-loop-sanding-pad.jpg

When it wears out i use hot gun to remove it.
If you change discs frequently

it's not god solution.

I recently had to replace the pad on my little Makita orbital for the same reason, I got it through eBay for about £6 delivered.

It took 3 weeks to arrive but no more flying discs!
I was sceptical but the quality seems like for like and cost was much easier to swallow than the list price of an official Makita replacement.

https://www.agwoodcare.co.uk/products/m ... LgQAvD_BwE

These are useful, particularly with abranet. It will wear out but takes as long as changing a disc to change when it does. By comparison my metabo replacement pad was about 15 quid and the bolt was very tight. Took 10 mins to swap.

The downside of these is that it adding a layer that is slightly soft, but the metabo isn't a super hard pad anyway. I believe only the festool is very hard.

The 120mm ones from Toolstation are a waste of money as half of them will fly off my new Makita. Screwfix ones are fine.

marcros":3ej9i5ut said:
https://www.agwoodcare.co.uk/products/mirka-abranet-interface-pads-clone/?gclid=CjwKCAjwmMX4BRAAEiwA-zM4JlbtDMJQkwjwocPqY83xqUe8NzYR9DX_uzayINp-QAVZ2cORQRXncxoCjLgQAvD_BwE

These are useful, particularly with abranet. It will wear out but takes as long as changing a disc to change when it does. By comparison my metabo replacement pad was about 15 quid and the bolt was very tight. Took 10 mins to swap.

The downside of these is that it adding a layer that is slightly soft, but the metabo isn't a super hard pad anyway. I believe only the festool is very hard.

Yup...glad to see they've updated their website with more accurate information regarding the difference between the two types of pad they can supply. DAMHIKT.

Back