Sanding Disc on a Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bristol_Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone do this on their table saw? :unsure:

Saw this in a CMT Saw Blade catalogue:

If you’re looking for fast and easy saw alignment and balancing, the cut calibration
and sanding disk is for you. First, mount your calibration and sanding
disk in your table saw and line it up with a square for accuracy. Then, remove
the calibration and sanding disk and mount your saw blade for true precise
cuts. You can also use the calibration and sanding disk as a sander by simply
attaching self-stick sandpaper and installing the disk in your table saw.

Too fast. You really need to rotate a 300mm disc at 1200 to 1500rpm. What speed does your table saw spindle run at?

They are sold here by different companies from time to time. In addition to turning a little too fast, there is at most 3" of disc exposed which isn't a big surface to play with. The speed difference isn't quite as awful as the boys above suggest as our direct drive sanders turn at 3460RPM so the jump to 4500rpm isn't quite as high, it is still fast and care will be needed with sharp paper to avoid burning. If it is all you have then you make do. You will probably have to make a throat plate to fit too.
SANDING DISC 10IN. Note a couple pictures show the disc horizontal on some other kind of machine.

Pete

Actually 3450 rpm is still too fast. Proper industrial sanders use 4-pole motors and turn at half that speed in 300mm/12in size. Lowwer speed means less chance of scorching, less chance of clogging the paper, more controllable cutting action. That's basically the advice I had from one of the abrasive manufacturers when I was dealing with problems of operatives overloading paper abrasives a few years back

A guy on Instagram Garrett @lundmillworks uses an Edge Tech 11 sanding disc in his DeWalt table saw with good results, one of his stories covers his use of it, might be worth a look @Bristol_Rob

I used to use an aluminium disc on a triton saw table. very effective. bit burny but if your doing this then you can't be so fussy tbh. used to use the mitre thingy as well

Actually 3450 rpm is still too fast. Proper industrial sanders use 4-pole motors and turn at half that speed in 300mm/12in size. Lowwer speed means less chance of scorching, less chance of clogging the paper, more controllable cutting action. That's basically the advice I had from one of the abrasive manufacturers when I was dealing with problems of operatives overloading paper abrasives a few years back

I agree and that's why when I bought a belt/disc sander I got the 1730 RPM version that was available. In this case for a person with limited space, budget, doing smaller projects and understanding the paper won't last long, it is a viable option. If they have a lathe then that would be far superior to using the table saw. Bob has most of the facts now so is in the best position to decide if it is for him or not.

Pete

Too fast. You really need to rotate a 300mm disc at 1200 to 1500rpm. What speed does your table saw spindle run at?

Good advice there. I run a 12" disc on my lathe and find 1100-1300 rpm is ideal, depending on what I'm sanding. I've seen people using table saw discs, it has to be too quick to be properly effective. The abrasive would probably be just skimming over your workpiece or scorching it (and clogging up in the meantime).

Title should be 'Bored silly person plays games with tablesaw'.
Not too knowledgeable about the analytics, but looks likes he makes a few quid from the whole thing, (you can easily see min/max earning estimation on socialblade website)
and guessing that video maybe how many folks have seen his channel
Max up to €9.9K estimated yearly earnings, wouldn't say no myself, even if I was "that guy who built the tablesaw gun"! :p

At least it hints that the tablesaw is not a tool to be messed with.
Taking a swipe with a plane shouldn't be so difficult, that you'd change out the TS blade and deal with even more dust afterwards?
I try anything but to use it in my workshop, as I have no extraction, so plan ahead of time.
The bandsaw does most what I want, and much less dusty.

Tom

Yesterday I was using my sanding drum on the spindle moulder, the slowest speed the machine has is 3000 rpm & it sands beautifully, it’s more about technique than any else.

Latest posts

Back